Wiki Tutorial Requests

Dear Community,

I am starting this thread so anyone can post topics or subtopics that they think would be great to have on the UE4 Code or Tutorial Wikis!

Between the Epic Documentation and the Wiki pages, what aspects of UE4 C++ Programming do you feel still need to be further elucidated with a wiki?

**Things You Already Figured Out, but Wished There Was a Wiki**

Please note, you can recommend a topic you already figured out for yourself, but you think is something that others will have trouble figuring out, or that their learning process will be accelerated by having a UE4 Wiki tutorial available to refer to.

So please feel free to post topics or particular aspects of UE4 that you have already figured out, but still think there should be a wiki.

**Basically, if you had to figure it out yourself and wished there was a wiki on it, let me know here!**

Questions You Still Have About Relatively Broad Aspects of UE4 / UE4 C++

If you have a question that is about a relatively broad aspect of UE4 C++ you are also welcome to post it here.

Please remember I am looking for new wiki topics in this thread, so any request or recommendation you make has to be broad enough in scope that it will benefit anyone who is learning UE4 and UE4 C++.

**Wiki Writers Welcome**

Anyone who reads what people post here is welcome to write the wiki if they want to! 

If you feel the inner urge to write one of the requested wikis, just please let me know in this thread so we don't both write a wiki based on the same UE4 community member's request!

Enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/a416/xh2a0w6qocsc9xb6g.jpg

Rama

This is awesome, I was looking for an excuse to contribute more!

Great to see this post here! I would like to see a wiki page about connecting UE4 to a database. I know UE4 doesn’t support it but I was looking across some ways people did connect to a database and saw some breaches in the way they were connecting to it.

I am going to flesh out the wiki entry on shootergame to actually have some analysis of the shootergame code over the summer months I think. Mainly because I want to document it for myself.

I also wanted something similar but I think it might be a bit extra complicated.

Btw, from what I have read, UT has a good prediction system for both character and projectiles. It would be helpful if some one could document it.

Great to hear from you all!

I am enjoying your enthusiasm for writing more wikis of your own, that is what this thread is about, feel free to announce new wikis that you’ve posted here, as well as in my Wiki Tutorials thread!

I am working with Epic on exactly that matter right now, will let you know what comes of it :slight_smile:

I already managed to extract the core UT replication system as just a few files and got it working in stock UE4 3rd person project.

Will post when the matter has developed further :slight_smile:

Have fun today!

:slight_smile:

Rama

Like always, the multiplayer parts are missing in the docs. The MultiplayerShootout is a good step in this direction,
but i guess really simple examples would help more than a full project.

Also everything related to connecting things from outside would be helpful. Database, your own Dedicated Server and a
Master Server for having an online server list would be nice. Unity already has a a master server system up and ready.
Would love to see that in UE4!

EDIT: And Rama :smiley: I really like your Wiki pages, but sometimes i feel like you are putting too much in a single example.
The multi-threading thing could be splitted into easy examples up to the one you posted. Not just the full thing in one
code. That is hard for beginners to filter.

A bit off topic, but when writing a wiki entry what are the places that it has to be manually added to? I know it appears in the list on its own, but what about the Most Recent Entries etc?

This is a bit of an aside but I think the wiki could use more organisation. There are only 6 categories on the page which have a lot of overlap and 100’s of articles in total which are otherwise un-organised. I think it would be helpful to have more sub categories based on tasks that people are commonly going to want to do. It’s easy enough to find things when you search but that only works when you know what your looking for, there’s no real way of stumbling across interesting stuff just by browsing.

I’m not sure how much power we have as ordinary users to make new categories to do this kind of thing but I would be willing to help out with this kind of project.

Wow that’s a good news… I really wanted to check it soon. Thanks Rama… :slight_smile:

Yes I agree simple multiplayer examples would be great

And yes I also agree simpler examples would be great, I’ve tried to move in that direction lately! I think my AI tutorial is a good example of my new efforts toward being concise, hee hee!

Custom UE4 AI Path Following, Customize Pathing Every Tick!
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/AI_Navigation_in_C%2B%2B,_Customize_Path_Following_Every_Tick

[QUOTE=DamirH;283609]
A bit off topic, but when writing a wiki entry what are the places that it has to be manually added to? I know it appears in the list on its own, but what about the Most Recent Entries etc?
[/QUOTE]

I will ask Epic about this :)

[QUOTE=karltheawesome;283868]
This is a bit of an aside but I think the wiki could use more organisation. There are only 6  categories on the  page which have a lot of overlap and 100's of articles in total which are otherwise un-organised. I think it would be helpful to have more sub categories based on tasks that people are commonly going to want to do. It's easy enough to find things when you search but that only works when you know what your looking for, there's no real way of stumbling across interesting stuff just by browsing. 

I'm not sure how much power we have as ordinary users to make new categories to do this kind of thing but I would be willing to help out with this kind of project.
[/QUOTE]

I will bring this great feedback to the Epic Wiki Staff's attention :)

Great to hear from you!

Rama

Hey everybody. We’re currently going over a major wiki rebuild to make it more conducive to your needs. and I are working on designing an interface that has better workflow for page creation as well as categorizing. We’ll be paying attention to your feedback about the wiki, so please keep it coming.

Great to hear form you !

Rama

Wiki Requests?

So far the wiki tutorial request I am aware of is more Multiplayer info.

Any other wiki requests?

I am enjoying how people are posting here the wikis they plan to write, this thread is for that purpose as well!

Rama

I have another request which is a bit mathematical one…

I wanted to know how the UE4 rendering worked like how the matrices are used for drawing on the screen etc…
If there are tutorials even though they are not specific to UE4, it would be helpful if some one could link them…