Download

Wiki Code Tutorials

So essentially i have this little bit of code that is

are you telling me i can assign MazeSize’s value inside a blueprint ? O_O ?

EDIT -
Nvm doesnt look like it. If you have any ideas rama I’d love to know. I probably should just use a vector for x and y instead.

Dear SaxonRah,

My example of assigning values to a dynamic array in Blueprints was more for:

1. adding values in blueprints, to then be accessed during run time in C++
  2. something like this

UPROPERTY(EditDefaultsOnly, BlueprintReadOnly, Category=BP)
TArray<FVector2D> DesignerSpecified2DPoints;

In this hypothetical case,

you are giving the rest of your team the power to create a list of 2D points in the default properties of a blueprint

And then you can access this data in the C++ at game launch.

This could be 2D points where you are supposed to iterate over all the points and create hud elements, or anything really!

Or it could be 3D points where you should spawn items, or FNames that you should iterate over and use for some purpose.

The point is that you can give your Team the power to send you an unknown amount of data, **AFTER compile time, **

that can vary day to day,

and you can set up the C++ code to use this unknown amount of data!

It’s an amazing thing about blueprints!

That you can add more data AFTER compile time, yet use dynamic arrays to perform the same logic in C++ no matter how much data the Designers add.

**Concrete Example**

You give Designers an FName Array to add entries to over the lifetime of the project

```

UPROPERTY(EditDefaultsOnly, BlueprintReadOnly, Category=SMAssetPaths)
TArray<FName> SMAssetPaths;

```

In the C++, for each FName Entry, which should be the full asset path of  a static mesh,

you **[dynamically load](https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Dynamic_Load_Object)** the UStaticMesh and spawn a new Static Mesh Actor and assign the UStaticMesh.

In this way you have engineered a C++ system that Blueprint Designers can extend and utilize to create their chosen number of unique static mesh actors with unique static mesh assets that they create!

The best part is,

**they can add more tomorrow, and the next day, without you ever doing a code compile!**

**I think this aspect of C++ to Blueprint interaction is amazing!**

It really means that you are empowering your entire team!

Whereas you are 1 programmer, you might have 30 Designers who can now create a change to the C++ behavior using **Blueprints + Dynamic Arrays.**

Rama

Thank you Rama! Very generous of you.

:cool: Now I understand. That’s super useful.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]New Tutorial!

My Static Library Trace Functions For You](A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums)

Hee hee!

Hee heeeeeee!

Bump for new arrivals

Enjoy the 41 C++ tutorials on the wiki!

Rama

Perfect! Thank you very much!

Thank you!!!:slight_smile:

Hee hee you’re welcome!

Rama

Bump for new comers over this weekend,

Enjoy the tutorials!

Rama

Thank you rama, great work as usual!:slight_smile:

Rama,

So glad that you finally got to make a wiki out of all of these. So much easier to view them now :slight_smile:

Hee hee!

Yea I agree!

I love the table of content system especially!

:slight_smile:

Thank You Epic for the Epic Wiki !

Special thanks to Alexander Paschall!

Rama

Just came here looking for C++ tutorials, many thanks Rama
Hope a moderator make a sticky post for all tutorials, books or any resources that may come up so we dont miss it and new members can find easily.

You’re welcome Morning Star!

Rama

Wow, great work Rama! This is an amazing amount of useful content for the Wiki, which was pretty sparse just 4.5 days ago.

Yaaay!

I am very happy that you are enjoying my efforts!

I’ve also published the entire source code for my Vertex Snap Editor Plugin, as well as the plugin itself!

So that people have an entire working foundation for making their own plugins or editor plugins!

Vertex Snap Editor Plugin With Entire Source Code
Rama's Vertex Snap Editor Plugin, Download for You! - C++ Gameplay Programming - Unreal Engine Forums!

Thank you for taking the time to write to me Tim!

Rama

Thank you, this is much appreciated!

Thanks for these !

As a heads up I have been tidying up the formatting (not changing any text but removing excess section headers that had no content etc - blame my need for consistency :P). If for some reason you have left these with blank headings to come back later please let me know and I will stop doing it :slight_smile:

Thanks,

SwitchNZ

Yes please stop doing that

I put those spaces in there so that the Table of Contents has additional separators where I wanted to emphasis something in the Table of Contents itself.

Please undo your changes :slight_smile: (its fast to undo in the history tab)

Rama

PS: but I do look forward to any actual code or syntax or grammar corrections you feel need to be done

Hee hee!

:slight_smile:

Rama