Download

Wiki Code Tutorials

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Entry Level Guide to C++

Entry Level Guide to C++

Rama

Just awesome, I will definitely dive into this. Thank you!

You’re welcome!

:heart:

Rama

Rama, I feel like it would be a crime to follow your tutorials without coming here and thanking you!

Great job, this is exactly what was needed for a lot of the UE4 adopters. Keep up the incredible work!

Hee hee!

Thanks for your message!

:slight_smile:

Rama

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]New Solus Project Tutorial

Get All Supported Screen Resolutions

Full source code for getting a list of all screen resolutions supported on the End User’s Computer:

Great work. I love these Solus tutorials! It’s all very applicable and useful for so many types of games.

Thank you Alexander!

So nice to hear from you!

Rama

If you’re a C++ beginner I’d opine that a full game engine is the wrong place to be cutting your teeth. Get a programmer to set some blueprints up for you and call it a day.

If you’re interested in learning C++ there are literally hundreds of books and web tutorials on the subject - adding a C++ primer to each UE4 tutorial is beyond redundant. And I’m not sure how the author is supposed to know what parts of the tutorial any given reader will need help with…

I thought about apologizing for being “mean,” but then I realized I don’t really care. I guess the term “tutorial” makes too many people feel like it should cover any question they happen to think of when reading one.

Yay for the fact that we can all make our UE4 games in C++ now! One of the most well-documented languages in the world!

Rama

Probably a great many people here, especially those coming from another engine that shall not be named, are cramming C++ like mad. (I’ve taken to calling Unreal -> Funreal due to how often I call it the wrong name)

Anyway, been lurking here for a while now, relearning the language, asking myself dumb questions and getting hung up on simple code ****. Seems like every time I find a pointer towards whatever solution I’m looking for, “Rama” is the signature at the bottom.

Just want to say how very much you rock. If this game we are working on ever takes off, I’m going to find a way to send you pizza or a comfort food of your choice. So thanks, and keep being awesome.
*edit: the asterisk’s in my comment above made me laugh, implying a much more harsh choice of word. Ha! But apologies none the less. *

HAhahhahaha

Have to admit I laughed in real life on this one

hee hee!

Thanks!

Not sure what my comfort food of choice will be yet, but I will keep you posted :slight_smile:

Hee hee!

Rama

New Slate Tutorial: Tree View

Example:

**A Slate window that auto-updates to reflect changes on my harddrive.

Wiki Link

Thank you Rama!

You’re welcome!

Rama

hahah rama I was reading this thread yesterday, and amazed at how many tuts you put up. Then while watching the stream from today, they invited you out. that’s amazing, dude. hope your visit to epic was fun

Haha yea it was a ton of fun!

All the folks at Epic are such wonderful down-to-earth and friendly people!

Epic is composed entirely of people whom you can really appreciate and relate to, and they’re smart and nice!

Glad you enjoy the tutorials!

:heart:

Rama

I also got a kick out of your guest appearance on the stream, was a fun surprise.

Anyways though, I wanted to say thanks for your Entry Level Guide to UE4 C++. Was definitely able to better wrap my head around the subtle differences between C++ syntax and other more modern-day languages. Also helped to keep in mind that C++ was partly designed to work around the memory constraints back then.

If it isn’t too much trouble though, I’d like to request a section be added to that guide that discusses header files (.h). As far as I know, I haven’t come across another language that uses them (although I’m sure they are out there), and I feel like it’s the last major thing that should be covered for newbies like me who aren’t familiar with them. I’ve figured out how to use header files, at least partially, but I don’t understand why they are used.

Looking forward to digging into more of your tutorials and guides as I get further into UE4, Rama (and everyone else, of course). Really appreciate the hard work that’s been put into building the wiki so quickly.

Dear Boushiya,

Great to hear from you!

Glad you enjoyed my guest appearance! Hee hee!

Here’s a great C++ reference on the use of header files:

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/10627/

**Why I Like Header Files**

I like header files because it gives you an overview of the entire .cpp in a nicely organized and simple and concise format.

Most of the time when I browser UE4 source code I just look at the .h files because I just need to know

a. what inputs does the function need

b. what does it do

c. what return values will I get?

I dont often need to know all the 100s of lines of .cpp code involved in the above!

**So header files give you a snapshot of the .cpp file!**

Get used to them, you'll learn to really like them as your project size grows :)

Rama

PS: a little too short for a wiki tutorial , but hopefully people read through this thread :)

Thanks for sharing, helped me realize I was looking for technical reasons why .h files are there, when they are more or less simply there for aesthetics. Basically taking the commenting code convention to the next level by showing an overview (snapshot!) of all the function prototypes.

Might be a short topic, but certainly helpful for an entry-level guide addition to understanding a useful part of C++ culture and learning how to easily look into code when the documentation may be lacking. Thanks again. :smiley: