Wiget button to move Camera "Character" fixed distance

Hello. I have a have a character selection level, where the characters are placed on the map 800 units along the X axis apart. I placed a character blueprint that’s a camera facing the character in the center of the lineup. I have a widget with buttons for move left, right, and select character. However I can’t figure out how to make the buttons smoothly move the camera left and right by 800 units with a single click. I image bindings are involved in this but I really could some widget advice!

The easiest way would be to do something like this (but with X instead, ofc - my bad):

Or you could use a Timeline + Lerp instead if you wish to move in a fixed amount of time.

edit:

I have a have a character selection
level, where the characters are placed
on the map 800 units along the X axis
apart.

Wouldn’t it be actually better to move the camera from character to character, rather than by X unreal units. This way you can redesign the character selection screen (move character about or add more!) without ever needing to adjust any hard-coded values?

In this case I’d add the characters to an array, and the Next / Previous widget buttons would pull the next / previous array element to fetch its position, and only then feed the data to camera.

That is a good idea. But this is basically selecting which color you want your character to be. How can I place the same Character in an array with 15 different material colors? Do I need to make that many different character blueprints with different materials? I need to find a way around that because After the body color selection screen, I want you to be able to select which glowing eye color you have (I imagined something like, find the body color you want, select, he does a little animate, then either zoom towards the eyes, or take the player and load the selected color character to a new “level” where its zoomed on the eyes and using a similar fetch from array for eye color)

But this is basically selecting which
color you want your character to be.

In this case, I’d just make a dynamic material - no need to make 15 of anything apart from knowing which 15 colours you want. That’s unless you want to see the camera transition from one character to the other.

If colours is all you want, an array of 15 elements is enough. Do consider a dynamic material for this - it’s fast, efficient and quite flexible approach.

So I made 16 materials, made a material array inside of the character and I have him placed in front of the camera. And theres a dynamic material set up in the character. There’s a widget with left, right, and select. I can’t find any videos saying how I can click those buttons to cast to the character and go through the array values, loading up new skins on the character in view. (The character is not the player at this level. Its the “color picker controller” which is basically just a camera

So I made 16 materials

No reason to make 16 materials to change the colour. 1 material is enough, and a bunch of Linear Colours in an array.

There’s a widget with left, right, and
select. I can’t find any videos saying
how I can click those buttons to cast
to the character and go through the
array values, loading up new skins on
the character in view.

How the communication flows will depend on how you set things up. I’ll assume some stuff here, perhaps the below is enough to get you going. Do tell if it’s not.

If the Colour Picker widget’s job is just to set the colour of that adorable monster, I’d create the widget in the monster blueprint itself. This way you can place it in any level and the color picker will still work fine. There’s no need to cast anything in this case.

The material with a parameter:

299188-mat.png

The widget. It has the array with colours, cycles through the array with buttons and fires an Event Dispatcher with the selected colour.

The monster blueprint creates the dynamic material, then the widget registers with its Event Dispatcher, this will catch the sent colour. The colour is then applied to the material.

In action:

Image from Gyazo