Widget with very low quality, how to improve?

I’m putting my widget in the 3d world and it’s losing a lot of quality, does anyone know how to solve this?

How large are you drawing this in the component?

Here:

And the font size in the widget?

Here is:

But isn’t the text a text block? Is this an image of the text? To clarify:

• Font Size 80

• Font Size 24

When you take a small font and blow it up full screen, stretched across a quad as a texture of the Widget Component, you get the very underwhelming quality.

If you have a 256x256 wall texture and look at it from afar, so on the screen it’s under 256px, it will look fine. But get close & personal with said wall and it will be either pixelated or blurry.

tl;dr: up the font size

There are some other tricks like drawing a laaaaarge component and scaling it down. But this looks like an incorrect font size for a 3d widget. Generally, 3d widgets will always look subpar but it’s possible to make them look passable.

1 Like

Is the only solution really to super-sample the UMG widget to 4 or 8K!?!???

I created a test texture in photoshop saved out at 1024 and used that texture with mips disabled as both a UMG 3D widget’s sprite source as well as the texture source for a 1M quad and placed them side by side. I then set the UMG draw size to 1024x1024 and the scale to 0.127 so that the 3D widget and the 1M quad were same physical size.

There’s a noticeable drop in quality in the widget. until the widget is ‘supersampled’ to well over double the resolution!

Is there really not a way to change the settings on the render texture that UMG generates in the back end?