Widget live texture.

So I’m working on my game where when you click on a monitor it zooms in on it and then displays a widget like that’s what the character sees. The problem is that up to now I used a decal to recreate the monitor being turned on, but I made some changes and now it just doesn’t get the job done. So I was wondering if there is any way I can make something like a live 2D texture from the widget so that when there is constant animation it also displays it (like a throbbed). If you need any further info just ask me. Thanks in advance.

Aaaand… how do I do that?

• create the material and animate what is desired:

• create a widget and slap the material onto an image or a border:

• set it as a widget for a widget component:

Or, or, use the actual Throbbers (if that’s what you meant by “throbbed”) the engine came with:

Perhaps there’s no need to faff around with animated materials.

If the monitor you’ve described is more like a CCTV camera thing, look into Render Targets.

Ok so basically the widget is just a bunch of buttons you have to press to complete tasks:
Screenshot_2

It’s that as you can see it always says tasks on the monitor’s wallpaper, but there are other sections as well so that doesn’t really cut it. And also I don’t think the material solution is what I’m looking for.

And yes I did meant actual throbbers btw.

I do not understand what is stopping you from updating what the widget displays. A widget components gives you fully functional, interactive widget.

If you do not want to make a functional menu, you can cut corners and have ready textures and swap them around. Although that may turn out to be more difficult in the long run.

Well I tried earlier today, but it didn’t even showed when I put it in the level and played it. Only in editor mode it appeared.

Perhaps it was facing the wrong way:

Hard to tell without knowing more. You will need this if you’re using the mouse to interact with the menus:

1 Like

I know it’s low-quality but here’s a video

I don’t know how are you making them so clean and looping
Also tried turning it the other way just incase but still no…

There are some long forgotten bugs that still materialise like this. As stupid as it may sound… Can you test it by creating another actor, just like this and dropping it into the level.

I don’t know how are you making them so clean and looping

It’s like a 5 click nearly instantaneous result. It’s probably that video spam what will get me banned one day…

1 Like

First of all, I love the way you said like undertale’s intro, and second no it’s still not there.

I’ve seen a similar issue fixed by restarting the editor. But it was, like, years ago. Not going to ask you to switch it off / on.

Perhaps you’re running some construction script / tick that hides the widget. Or UE5 has a HUGE unreported bug.

Essentially, things should absolutely work the way you need them to, and you’re definitely on the right track.

Well i had some code in my last widget

But even when unlinked it it still didn’t appear.

I see. You do not need that. The widget to be hosted goes here:

The widget component will construct, maintain and get rid of the widget automagically.

Yeah you see i did both. And if my guess is correct you use maybe like UE 4.27 or somewhere there so you are not aware if UE 5.1 has this problem or is it just me.

Can you do just one? Just set the class in the component.

UE 4.27 or somewhere there so you are not aware if UE 5.1[…]

Blissfully unaware of some of the UE5 struggles, all true. Would be cool if someone could confirm widget components (do not) work in UE5.

edit: after a quick forums scan, I hereby confirm they do work. As in, they do show up at least.

Ok so i messed around with the materials you can set and some of them turned texture to black and it did displayed just blackness so I’ll guess it’s working.

After testing for a while with stock widgets from the engine they doesn’t display either. I guess it could be from the level perhaps? But It doesn’t make sense in my opinion to be from the level.

So if you create a brand new project and throw in an actor + a widget component + a widget that has just a button… it does not show up?

You’d only need a material if you wanted something fancy animated. Like play a video or set up an advanced post process effect UMG cannot pull off.

Yup I guess if it doesn’t work with stock presets it’s an engine glitch, but I really don’t remember trying to restart so I guess why not.

Well it’s still invisible, but I guess until potential release I hope I find solution.

1 Like

Hey um, I guess you are pretty sick of me, but I think I found the problem, but the solution is what I can’t think of. So in the widget, there are 2 custom events turn ON and OFF. when the widget is constantly ON it displays it on the viewport, but when it’s off it doesn’t display it on the monitor. I tried to not add the widget but interact with the monitor, but first of all, it looked all curved because of the monitor’s model, and second when I went to tick on the “receive hardware input” check box it was constantly set to false. See if any of this information gives you anything and if you can write back.