I’ve been using the experimental Widget Components in 4.7.5, and I’ve found a crash which I don’t think has been reported before. [Linked] is a sample project where the issue manifests. I haven’t tried it in 4.8 since I just don’t have the space for two engines currently.
If you open the project and play, then continue clicking on the white square just to the right of the player character (perhaps moving the mouse around), then at some point UE will crash ([log]).
For context, this issue arose in my project when clicking on an actor destroys the actor and replaces it with another actor that happens to have a widget component on it. It doesn’t happen every time, which is why the repro needs you to continue clicking until things explode
Let me know if you need anything else to nail this.
After taking a look at your project I was able to find out that the crash is cause by the spawning and destroying on the actor at a rapid pace. If you place a delay of at least 0.2 this should keep your project from crashing. I have written up a report ( UE-17144) and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.
Make it a great day
Aha! Thanks for that, I’ll give it a try
The crash that you encountered (expressed in the log file) is not the same once that we experience when spawning and deleting an actor quickly.
Your crash was specifically related to widget components it seems. Please do let us know if you’re still experiencing it after the fix that is suggested here.
Since I added the workaround to my project, I came across the crash one more time, but failed to catch the logs. Next time it happens, I’ll siphon off the logs and zip up my actual project instead of trying to repro it in a clean one: hopefully that’ll be of more help to you.
So yes, it does seem to still happen, and I’ll get you more information as soon as I can
We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.
Indeed, this has not occurred so far, and I have in fact migrated my project to 4.8. If this does occur again, I will create a new report (for the different version) and crosslink for you.
Have a nice day