Why the minimap build in world partition took up to nearly infinity minutes?

Only one simply landscape in this level and I have enabled virtual texture support.
Building a minimap in world partition seems to take infinite time.

OMG

1 Like

Perhaps there is a recursive function causing it to go into an infinite loop?

I try to use BuilderCommandlet to build it.
It tells me landscape instance shadermap is missing.And it have been compile for 10 mins.

I think it may be ODSC problem that doesn’t compiled all the shaders or just the minimap builder problem.
So I go to set r.ShaderCompiler.JobCacheDDC=0 in WindowsEngine.ini
Unfortunately,the shaders hell is wait for me.
Shader
I will reply later when I finish compiling.

:rofl: This is really annoying.

The “mini map” so to speak, is nothing but a screencapture2D shot of each level.
It keeps the level(s) open and in memory to adjust when you sculpt/change/move levels.

If you open your individual levels you would probably get the same result.

It’s why to work on landscape shaders you are better off using a tiny 1 component landscape to build and test things (less shaders).
However you then have to wait for compile when you apply it to actual levels.

If you are a serious dev trying to actually work, just build from source. Go to
Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/ShaderCompiler
Poke around in the files to change the memory priority from -1 to 1, which makes it a little faster.
Then build.

I do not think they ever got around to making the shader compiling part share the load on other machines like for building lights.
At least when it comes to my/our usage, even with incredibuild licenses there is no difference on compute time for shaders…

2 Likes

Thanks a lot.
I add the follow key to the ini.

Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini
[DevOptions.Shaders]
WorkerProcessPriority=-1 // change to 1

It work very well and I have successfully built the minimap.

1 Like

What does changing value to ‘1’,do ? How much faster is it really ? I gave up when it clearly seemed it was yes going to take an infinite time to finish lol

thx

It does - near absolutely nothing - it changes the ram priority with which the worker process that builds things is created.
Its the same as opening task manager and changing priority to that specific exe.

Chanches of that being an issue off a direct build command are next to nhil, however with just how badly the engine is coded of late, you never really know until you try.

And if for whatever reason you absolutely need that worthless minimap that should just always be closed so you can actually work… well, then trying that setting is worth a shot.