Why PhysX as the default physics engine?

I am wondering …since everyone knows PhysX is Nvidia only and runs extremely bad on AMD systems…

Why not use a universal physics engine that supports more than one hardware manufacturer as the default built-in physics engine… ?

Instead of us having to go through the hassle of trying to incorporate a different physics engine into the game engine…

Hi BES12000,

to the best of my knowledge, the PhysX implementation used in UE4 runs on the CPU, so AMD systems should perform exactly the same as any other system.

My assumption is that the physX Engine is single threaded and restricted by default …even though it can be multi-threaded and run on any CPU unhindered…

Unless that changed and now its multi-threaded and unhindered on the CPU …without me having to mess with the code…if so, then I guess I can handle PhysX as the default physics engine…

In Unreal, PhysX runs on CPU and does run on multiple threads. The CPU implementation is apparently competitive with other physics engines such as Havok.

However things like the fluid simulation seem to have very poor performance on CPU I suspect it’s due to the poor CPU implementation.