Why My Console is Different?


I have recently started to learn Unreal Engine 4 and I have been using different content for learning, including Udemy, Youtube, and friends to learn it.

There is one thing that is bothering me. Why does my console look like an undocked version of the one I see everyone else using? It wouldn’t bother me so much, but it comes with some other problems, like not showing my custom commands or cheats in the dropdown auto-complete list, even though they work if I write them down and click Enter.

You can see the console on the very bottom of my window which looks very different from the usual ones I see around. Is there a solution to this?

Thank you very much and I appreciate any help I can get.

How did you switch to the first console?

A huge problem that this brings me is that it doesn’t even open in a Standalone game. I tried all the play modes and I consistently only see the one that I showed. Except for standalone version, which I can’t even open it.

I know what you’re talking about. There are two versions of the console, and they show up in slightly different places. It’s something to do with which mode of play you have just used ( PIE / simulate / debug etc ).

They are separate consoles, because they don’t share the same command history, but it’s nothing to worry about…

During play:

In editor:

I see… Still, it does not sound like it solves my problem, though. Because I can only see that version wherever I try. I can’t get a console to show up in Standalone at all.

Like I say, the first is during PIE, the second is just in the editor.

If you package, there is no console access, but in standalone it should work fine.

I finally figured it out what it was. Your answer was partially correct. They are indeed two different versions of the console, but they do not simply vary depending on where you are playing. What it actually was is that I had to change the keybind for the console in the “Project Settings”. Apparently, the one I was seeing is the one from the “Editor Settings”. I just figured they were the same thing and they were already both set to ( ` ).

However, the one in Project Settings just looked like it was set to that. I just changed it to INSERT and it now works fine. I guess you are seeing different versions depending on the player because you set both to the same keybind and it might be opening the two different versions randomly or something.