Why is this setup not working?

The print string at the bottom shows me that it’s been properly set, but the actor refuses to turn toward the player at all, and definitely not tracking him. The Behavior Tree nodes I place after this work. I could make the character “MoveTo” somewhere else just fine from here, just not this part. I’ve tried this many ways, tried this in another actor, tried it by triggering the SetFocus as a custom event inside the character blueprint. Tried that set to trigger on EventBeginPlay on a delay of 2 seconds… what could be simpler? Still it doesn’t track the player or any other target I set. Any help would be great, thanks.

Hey swiss_cheese9797,

I’ve created a simple setup that seems to be working.

Here’s what I did:

1. Started a new Third Person Project
  2. Duplicated the Third Person Character blueprint and named it AI Character
  3. Created a new AI Controller and assigned it to the AI Character Blueprint
  4. In AI Character, ensure that Use Controller Rotation Yaw, Pitch, and Roll are all checked in the Defaults tab.
  5. On Tick (just for testing purposes), Get All Actors of Class (ThirdPersonCharacter), Get AI Controller, then pull off of the Get AI Controller node and SetFocus. Plug in your Get node off of the Get All Actors of class so you have your Third Person Character reference and it should work.

I think the part you were missing was the Use Controller Rotation Yaw, Pitch, and Roll being enabled in the Defaults tab.

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day

Thx, you help me :slight_smile:

Emphasis: just for testing purposes. FindAllActors on tick… Yikes. :slight_smile:

: I see you re-marking answers after I post a comment. I don’t want to give you extra work. Why is that necessary? (Message me on the forum if you prefer. I couldn’t find “SeanL” on there, I tried)

Every comment you leave reopens the thread, which requires manual attention to come in an re-accept an answer. It’s not any trouble though, we always encourage community interaction on Answerhub so feel free to comment as much as you’d like.