Why is this happening with the new ML Deformer

Hi,

I’ve been testing out the new ML Deformer workflow but am having a strange problem.

On the majority of frames the deltas are looking good:

However, on seemingly random frames, or clusters of frames, the deltas get completely messed up:

Does anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks

1 Like

hi,
were you able to fix this or were you able to figure why this is happening I am having a similar issue.
Perhaps is it a weight assignment?

Can you please try to import the alembic file again, but this time using “Constant Topology Optimization” enabled? This often fixes these issues.
I would try to do a full clean import of the alembic also, instead of possible reimport.

1 Like

Thanks @JohnVanDerBurg ,

I finally got around to testing out the ML Deformer again and can confirm that the “Constant Topology Optimization” did resolve this issue for me.

Is there are reason for this issue though, that I should be addressing in the source app? In this case, that is Houdini.

1 Like

I am not aware of anything you can do to prevent this.
We will see if always enabling this option is a safe thing to do, and if so, we will recommend to always enable this in the docs.

Also not sure what causes this. I think it sometimes might reorder some vertices as optimization or so. And that then causes it to calculate the deltas incorrectly as it picks the wrong vertex on the target mesh.

But glad this worked! :slight_smile: