Why is there pixel corruption in UI and scene on Macbook Air?

Branch: Binary build

Build version: 4.0.1-2027741+++depot+UE4-Released+4.0

I know this isn’t fully supported hardware, but thought you might still want to know about this: I am seeing pixel corruption throughout unreal editor. corruption looks like lines of noisy pixels around 200-300 pixels long. position on screen seems random, it appears both on editor UI and scene itself. It does not appear on launcher.

Repro Steps

1. Open launcher
  2. Click “Launch” button.
  3. Graphic corruption occurs on window that opens up, and on any further editor windows open.

This happens 100% of time that I launch application.

System Specs:
Type: MacBook Air Mid 2012
Processor: i5 1.8G
Memory: 8G
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Attachments: I’m not sure if it will come out, but I can try to capture on a iPhone video if you would like.

Even though HD 4000 is not officially supported at moment, we did a lot of testing on it and even have some workarounds for driver bugs specifically for it. We’ve seen something very similar to what you’re describing a while back, on a single Mac (I don’t recall what model, sorry), but after a while it was gone. We assumed it got fixed along with some other fix. But apparently not :frowning: Can you let me know what OS X version do you use on this Mac?

Thanks for quick response.

I’m running OS X Mavericks, 10.9.2, build 13C64

Thanks. And no problem. But I’m not sure what to do about it at moment :confused: I’ll ask our QA to try to reproduce this. Hopefully they will and we will be able to debug this. One more thing, just to make sure we test in same conditions - does this happen when you have no external hardware connected to your MacBook and no other applications are running, just UE4Editor (meaning even UE Launcher is closed)? Thanks!

Oh. That’s good. Thanks for update.

Interesting. After quitting all other applications, corruption seems to go away.

I’ve been trying to re-open applications, and see if any of them trigger it to start again, but it hasn’t reoccurred yet.

When I see it happen again, I’ll let you know what application seems to trigger it.

I’ve seen this happen a few times recently, with only Safari and Xcode open besides Unreal. I’m now running 4.0.2

Many thanks for update. This should help us find a repro and hopefully do something about this (and in a worst case report a bug to Apple).

Hey natemartinsf,

Can you let us know if you are still experiencing this issue since updating to 4.2.1? Thanks!

Hey natemartinsf,

We haven’t heard from you in a while, so I’m marking this post as resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still seeing this in 4.2.1, please feel free to reopen. Thanks!

Hi, sorry for not responding earlier to this… I’ve switched to using Unreal primarily on a PC.

I just tried it on my MacBook Air again for first time in a while, running 4.6.1, and pixel corruption is still present.

Hi natemartinsf,

I’m running on a MacBook Air with an HD 4000 in 4.6.1 without any corruption. It sounds like this may be a hardware defect and not an engine issue, but just to be sure: have you upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 yet? It’s possible your system is using an old driver.