Why is the Landscape Paint Tool painting entire squares and not just in the brush?

Hi ShadowKindGames,

How many texture samples do you have active on a single component (square)? At the moment there seems to be an issue having 12 active. Try only painting with a max of 10 texture samples per component and see if that corrects the issue.

If it doesn’t, try making the brush large and painting each layer on the entire canvas allowing time for each to compile shaders in between.

Seems the case, I changed the material to 5 Albedo / Normals. Works fine, I take it this a bug you guys are working on? I thought there should be a maximum of 16 textures samples per mat?

With world machine, you need 4 weightmaps. Which means 4 “Layers” alone, for the high / mid / low and flow maps. So it doesn’t leave much in the way for the likes of roads etc. Also you just can’t paint over the canvas, or no point in using world machine :).

16 is the limit but 3 are used for lighting and 1 is used for the landscape blending. This leaves 12 open. At the moment however there is an issue using all 12. 10 should work correctly.

Our devs are working to improve this. We hope to have even more than the max texture sample slots available in the future.

I fixed it this is the material i created and it worked perfect !!

This is the template for each layer and you can create n layers by switching only the texture. It is simple and works. You do the same for the normal maps. Then you apply that material on to the terain and start painting. Atleast this thing works for me.

I think you can Highlight this post as a solution on the problem for now. Thank you for the help !!!

Hi @Ivailo Korakov and @TJ :diamonds::diamonds:,

I apologize for bringing back a very OLD post, but WE have been stuck in Painting the Landscape.

BTW, Landscape Properties:
Quad Size: 63 x 63,
Section: 2 x 2,
Components: 16 x 16,
and Landscape Size: 2017 x 2017.

We have all the needed Textures, but when We paint small areas, We get an output of a whole Quad or its Edge getting Painted.

We wanted to try Your Material, but,

We created the following Sample Material to Test, your answer. But when We use this Material the Selection of Layer to Paint contains NO Layers.

Any help would be Highly Appreciated.

Yours Truly,
Hitarth

SO how did you fixed it ?

1 Like