Why is my Unreal crashing when loading most templates and compiling shaders?

Hi, good day to all.

I am an architecture visualization artist and recently started trying to learn UE5 for archviz due to its great quality and capabilities.

Some time ago I toyed a bit with the software and seemed to be interesting.

Recently after building a brand-new powerful Pc. I decided to start my learning journey.

New PC Specs:

I7 13700k

RTX 3090 EVGA FTW3

128 GB DDR4 3600 MHZ

2tb Nvme ssd for the Os (Win 11 Pro) , and another Nvme 2tb ssd for programs

Unfortunately, it has been a nightmare, since I am constantly experiencing errors and crashes.

Basically, the errors I have been facing are:

-“Crash Inside the platform compiler” when loading most of UE5 templates (that includes the Archvis template and even the blank template for architecture visualization”

-Crash when opening any high quality UE5 project downloaded from the internet.

These external scenes crash most of the time. I purchased the Archviz interior collection Vol 9 from evermotion for UE5 and all the scenes either crash or don’t even launch.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling unreal, doing that on different drives. Trying out older builds of UE5. Verifying the integrity of the files each time I re-installed unreal. Updating my graphics card to the most recent version. Rolling back the drivers to old ones, updating windows, disabling any overlays/geforce experience, setting my gpu to performance mode in the control panel, and nothing works.

Yesterday I even downloaded from the marketplace the megascans European Blech tree asset collection and even when dragging only one of them to my UE5 scene, the scene crashes while showing a “ShaderCompilerWorker returned 1 single jobs, 0 expected”.

Don’t even know what else could I do. I would really appreciate someones help on this matter.

Is it only crashing with UE?

Did you get UE from the launcher, or compile it?

Have tried running something like?

Have you tried pressure testing all the components with a piece of benchmarking software? It could be a configuration issue

( I haven’t tried Novabench, there might a better alternative… )

Thank you so much for your help and sharing these monitoring software, I will try them out. Looking at my task manager, things seems to run normally (normal ram, cpu and gpu use), but I will still use the softwares you shared to check my components.

The crashes are mostly with unreal, but I have also experienced some crashes with games installed on Epic Games, like Borderlands 2 and fall guys (games that shouldnt be a problem given my hardware).

Here is also the crash report when trying to import one of the megascans trees. The scene crashes (with only one of them) and then shows this message:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000900000009

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

So that’s probably a GPU problem. In some rare cases, CPU.

In the Nvidia control panel, 3D section, reset to defaults.

Use the ‘studio’ drivers, not game ready.

Thank you.

I have tried different driver versions, but always the game ready ones, never the studio.
I will try out with the studio drivers and see if they can help with the issue.

I have also experienced a couple of Blue Screens when rendering 4k video with D5 render (a render engine that uses ray tracing), and most of the times the message shown for the stop code was: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Could this be related too with the unreal crash problem, and be a gpu issue?

It’s almost certainly GPU, and if you’re having problems, studio are far better :slight_smile:

Most likely CPU, followed by memory, then CPU.

Ok, get the latest engine. 5.0 will be buggy.

Get the latest version of windows. That’s 22621.1848

Did you get the engine from the launcher, or compile it?