Why is my Sphere projectile turning to a disc when fired?

Hello,

I have been working with Unreal Editor for a game design class and I have finished the project, but I will be pushing the game into development and I have run into an issue. I was tasked with creating a projectile for the class and I succeeded, for a time, but I noticed that when the ThirdPersonCharacter fires my projectile (it’s supposed to be a fireball) it comes out as a flat disc, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why. Previously, I forgot to edit the collision so the fireball was a sphere, but going through my level. The issue did start once I fixed the collision, however. I did this by changing OverlapAllDynamic in a collision to BlockAllDynamic, and reversing this change has no effect. Screenshots follow for convenience’s sake:

Could it be with the collision? Now that you mention it, I remember scaling the collision because I initially failed to realize that I needed to change OverlapAllDynamic to BlockAllDynamic. Oddly enough, the collision didn’t even change size either, so this makes sense. I’ll test it out and get back, thank you!

Hi - the collision wont affect the shape of the ball.

Ah - ( suddenly thinks ), is the ball already disc shaped in your BP? Then it would be inheriting that squish from a parent component.

If the ball is turning into a disc during firing, put some pause game nodes into the mix, the use F8 to pop out of your character and take a look at the ball at various points in it’s trajectory…

There’s only one thing that could do this, somewhere you are scaling the ball. Can you think where that would be?

Huh, I tried to change the scale for the collision, as well as the ball itself and even the fire and it’s still a disc. Conversely, I did notice that under “transform” for my sphere collision, the scale was altered, so I returned it to normal settings and now the sphere is a disc in my viewport now as well, however it’s still shooting a disc. I’ll have to test it further, I think.

Aha, that’s good to know. Thank you for that insight! It is not disc-shaped in my BP, it’s actually spherical in the BP but firing directly from ThirdPersonCharacter as a disc.

I was able to figure out that it was apparently me scaling the ball itself. I noticed there was a scaling change on the ball, so I reversed it. Now the ball looks extremely stretched in my BP, but it is now directly firing as a sphere.

I can’t believe I didn’t think about scaling as being the root cause of the issue, thank you for your help!