Why is my landscape material painting full squares (ignores brush size)

I am trying to get a landscape material set up that has 5 layers. I have followed a tutorial on youtube that got me this far. My materials paint onto the landscape, but my brush size doesn’t affect it at all. It just paints large squares on the surface rather than going as large or small as i put my brush, this is obviously more of a problem when you’re trying to use a fairly small brush. Any help is appreciated. I’ve attached screenshots of my problem, my main landscape material which uses material attributes and one of my individual layers material functions.

Hey,

I believe your problem is you have not set the landscape paint layers to be weighted.

See this screenshot taken from the [official docs at this link][1]

As an extra tip when you do weight your layers - It sometimes needs a base layer first to work properly, depending on your setup. I generally just set my brush size to about (Massive Number Here), and paint a solid layer across the whole landscape as my base, then you can go back to normal brush and it should paint other layers on top as you would expect.

Change your tool strength and brush falloff to something like 0.5.

I changed my brush size and falloff and that helped a bit along with changing all the layers to weighted. I hate how the layers just sort of paint on top of each other. Is the “height blend” where like the grass would show through the open parts of the stone and stuff like that?

I understand that I can change layers to “height blend” but I don’t understand what texture I use for the height output. Can I use one of the pins off the normal map or something? I’d just like the materials to blend better and look less like they’re just painted on top of each other.

Like for instance, if I paint sand over grass, the full grass is visible underneath the sand in the translucent parts and it just doesn’t look natural.

This particular stream taught me everything there is to know about getting my landscape materials put together in a good fashion. Andrew Hurley even gave a great template material layout that i still use today. It uses height blend which you mentioned you were interested in. It does provide the smoother blending than a weighted solution, which is nice especially if you are doing the work using the landscape tools versus an outside program.

In addition I would also check out the technical guide, https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/TechnicalGuide/.

I had a similar problem with squares and it turned out my choice of quads, sections and components did not fit well. This played havoc with my texture resolutions. The guide gives some great suggested sizes that are a good rule of thumb and fixed my particular problem i was having.