Why is my Input Key press not working in Blueprint?

Honestly I’ve tried all of these posts. Cannot get Input mappings working in Level Script Actor Blueprints. There are not so many variations that they could not all be tried.

1 Like

For anyone else. I had a weird set up wherre the input mode was set up to only UI. So I had to set the input mode in the player controller to Game Only.

This solved my problem with input not working. Thank you.

I looked through 5 different answers to similar to questions until I came across this! Thank you :slight_smile:

I have it setup like this, event start, enable input with the attachment like the above. Then hit V key to spring string hello and nothing.

Go to the “class defaults” setting panel of your blueprint, then in the “input” section, switch “auto receive input” from “disabled” to “Player 0” (Player 0 is the player in solo games)

1 Like

Thanks it works for me

How can I sign in to watch this video?

I know this answer is very old but, it worked for me. I had this problem with 5.0.3. As someone who has just started using UE, I tried 10 different answers for this problem one by one, but that’s the only problem… thanks a lot…

trying everything and nothing is working for me. cannot get it to print a test message.

this did it!

If anyone still having this problem. The solution for me is this: ther is an actor in the level that has the same input key, so unreal will not execute one input in both actor so i had to find the actor with that key input call in his blueprint and just change it with another button. This fixed my problem. Sorry for my bad english

Hello. the video is unavailable, can you pls share the latest working .

This post compiles the main points in this thread. To get it to work, you must follow these steps (non-inclusive, so it still might not work for you)

• Actors need to be “possessed” and to be given a character controller for them to have input. For most people, setting “Auto Possess Player” to 0 will do the job.
  • Even if actors are possessed, they still need their inputs enabled as inputs are turned off by default.
  • Even if an actor is possessed and the inputs are enabled, there might be another actor “consuming” the input and not sharing it with anybody else.
  • Even if an actor is possessed, the inputs are enabled, and there are no input hoarding actors, you need to manually left click the game window when play testing in the editor after clicking the “play” button.

I must say, that is a lot of steps just to log “hello” in the console after pressing a button.

From a usability point of view, it might be helpful to detect and then give feedback to the user when an input is not set up correctly, perhaps via a warning in the console.

1 Like

Hello!

If you were like me and none of the above resolved your isssue…

The above did help lead me to my issue. In my case I was using the default 1st person character blueprint which I had duplicated and altered for my needs.

In doing so it was still using the default characters IMC_Default that is found in the inputs folder within the character. Note that this only comes loaded with the basic inputs ( jump, move, look, etc)

Either making a new IMC with new action inputs set , and then ‘Add Mapping Context’ with your new inputs.

or simply add your desired Action Inputs and set them to the IMC_default accordingly.

I hope this helps :pray:

-DxE

Thank you so much, this solved it for me! :facepunch: