Why is my default movement animation running?

So, when I push W or up on the gamepad stick my character moves forward as intended, however, he plays the run animation. I have set the walk state as a walking animation in the Animgraph and adjusted the default walk speed to 400. I have set the Run animation to trigger at speed of over >=700 (which I have confirmed I am not reaching by walking) and back to walking at <= 500
But ALAS, my player continues to sprint everywhere… WHYYYYY???

It is killing me. I cannot figure out why it would be doing this.

PS. I was using a blendspace originally but was having an issue where the run animation would continue to run til its end after the player stopped moving. so I resorted to setting the animations to try and find the issue

20 Views no comments lol. I fear i have a real issue on my hands

OK I have figured out that my walk state is being skipped in the animgraph. I tested by making the run state animation a walk animation and the walk state animation a run animation. now my character is walking by default but won’t run when i sprint. The transitional rules for idle to walk are greater than and less than 10 respectively and from walk to run greater than 700 and less than 500 respectively with the sprint speed set as you see them in the first image. WHAT IS GOING ON!!! :frowning:

I have the same problem. No matter how I tweak Max Speed and default speed only runs the running animation. Even the values are the same with the blendspace speed and max walk speed. Only when I delete Run anim it plays walk. But this is no fixing of this problem. I am starting to go nuts. Sorry dude that I don’t have solution. I hope somebody help us :smiley: I am thinking that may be it is problem because I a have custom character and every ■■■■ tutorial about this works with the UE mannequin. Nobody show this with custom. I think too that the max walk speed in the character has nothing to do with the variables speed of the Blendspace

If I find a solution I will post here.

Print string out your speed in the anim graph, check that it is the correct value.

Yeah bro print string confirmed I was indeed getting the intended speeds. it’s just the transition from these speeds that’s the issue.

OK, I got this of an Unreal Discord group. seemed like useful info. going to try it myself now but wanted to share in case it helps someone else.

"best off using a blend space for idle - walk - run, are you using a keyboard or controller? because keyboard is either all or nothing on the movement scale, whereas with a controller you have analog sticks that can have finer control on the input. Depending on how you want to set it up, you need some trigger to swap between the two
usually games do this by always running and then ctrl + w to walk, or the other way around, always walk and then shift+ w to run. if you want to mimic a controllers stick with different speeds you could do a sort of “wind-up” time so the character always starts out at a specific speed but if you keep walking the speed increases
that closely resembles vehicles and their gear-shifting though not humans. for the kb, don’t use the states like that though, just change the animation depending on what button you press.

I think I would put it inside of a while loop
key is pressed → while that key is pressed play animation → outside loop play normal animation
or just detect a key-press and a key-release, dont really remember what ue4 likes the best"

Fingers crossed!!

OMG, I figured it out…

Here it is boys and girls. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won’t. but it ■■■■ sure worked for me!!! WOOOOOO

I will point out that I also got rid of my blendspaces in my idle and walk states, turns out I didn’t really need them