Why does sound not play concurrently from blueprint?

Quick Background. I am new to UE4 (go figure). I have created a fireworks and button press from a couple of tutorials all setup with blueprints. Everything works as expected, I’m using VR and hitting the button with motion controller sends off a firework and then seconds later it explodes. If I spam the button I get multiple fireworks, also as expected… Looks awesome.

Now I get to adding sound. Logical me decides to add the Play sound for launch and delayed sound for explosion to the launch firework blueprint. All works well if i just hit the button once. I get launch sound and then explosion half a second after I see the firework go off (simulates real world quite nicely).

However, when I spam the button and send off multiple fireworks I still only get the one sound. I have spent the last 4 hours searching google and youtube for a fix but only end up finding people that have the opposite problem.

Ideally I just want concurrent sounds so that if i hit the button 5 times in 2 seconds I hear 5 explosions. It’s not too much to ask (i think).

Thanks to all who may reply in advance.

I have looked into the concurrency settings and there is little to no info at all. At the moment I have concurrency override set to 16 and I have also tried several sound outputs including SpawnSoundAtLocation. They all produce the one sound instance.

I’m wondering if I need to setup the concurrency in the project settings… However I have not found any info on how to set that up.

Yep, I have left the location as default 0,0,0

Sound waves and sound cues have a concurrency setting in the details. It may be that you’ve picked up a sound from somewhere that has concurrency 1. So take a look at that.

It may also be how you’re playing the sound, what node are you using? Have you tried, for instance, SpawnSoundAtLocation?

EDIT: Just leave the location as 0, 0, 0

Can you show you BP?

Here’s the screenshots for both BP’s

Screenshot 9 is where I’m attempting to add the sound files. I have a delay set so that the explosion doesn’t go off until 0.5 sec after the visual explosion.

It works for a single instance, but not when I hit the button several times. Between the delay and the spawn emitter I had previously added the launch audio which also works for one instance.

Cheers, and thanks so far for your effort. It’s most appreciated.

There’s no default concurrency setup.

Either you somehow have stumbled onto sounds confiured badly, in which case, just try any other sound for now.

Or your BP is off whack somehow, if you put that here I’ll take a look.

( we crossed streams there, gimme 5 )…

Ok, I see the problem, getting there…

Done. And thanks once again.

Cool. Maybe I just need a lesson in setting up the concurrency set in project settings. It’s the one thing I can’t find any info on…

Nope. It’s delay nodes. A lot of people have problems with the logic of delay.

Your problem here is that you are re-triggering the execution chain before the delay has finished. So it never plays the sound.

You need to replace the delay → spawnsound contruct with:

301272-spawnsound.jpg

( I am spawning a BP called DelayedSound ). The internals of the BP are:

Delay works fine here because nothing is re-triggering the chain, you’re getting a separate little player for each sound, which conveniently removes itself for you.

EDIT: I just updated that BP image, the 5.5 is your sound delay, the other 5 is the wait before it removes itself.

Thanks so much for that. I appreciate the time you spent helping me.

I didn’t think of the fact that I was executing a second event before the first one finished. Makes sense now that you have shown it.

Again many thanks!!!

You’re welcome. Please tick the answer if you’re happy with it, as it will help others :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Incidentally, you can really make it ‘pop’ if you randomize the explosions. If you have more than one sound, just put them in a sound cut object like this:

You can play the sound cue in exactly the same was as the wave file…

Lol. I do have my cue file setup with 4 random sounds.

I suppose I got one thing right haha.