Why does packaged game run more slowly?

Running 5.1

Q1 Why does a packaged build run about 30% slower than in the editor? I thought it was supposed to be more efficient.

Q2 In editor, it doesn’t matter what size the screen is, the frame rate is the same. Why, in a packaged build, does the rate drop as the window size increases?

Full marks to anyone who can answer Q1.

For Q2, I know that a bigger picture has more pixels. But if the fps doesn’t change in the editor, why can’t it stay the same in the build?

At the moment, it looks like shipping my game with the editor is the best option, which can’t be right…

2 Likes

Sounds very strange… Although I may not have a proper answer, you may be able to find something from the new 5.1 features implemented: Unreal Engine 5.1 Release Notes | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Cooking Insights

Cooking Insights provides a profiling method to gather and display information about the way packages are cooked. To record a cook session, start from the command line using the argument -trace=default,cook.

When you enable the cook channels, this adds a panel to Timing Insights called Packages. This displays a list of all the packages associated with that cooking event. For each package, there are statistics available, including: LoadTime, SaveTime, BeginCache, IsCacheCooked, and Asset Class. Each of these is displayed in a column that can be grouped and sorted.

Packages View

Use the option Grouping > Path Breakdown - Package Name to generate a collapsible hierarchy view of the data. You can also group by Asset Class.

1 Like

Thanks, I will check that out.

I noticed, while thrashing around with this, that if I make a new 5.1 proj, the frame rate is comparable to before, but it’s opening my 5.03 proj that dive bombs. Even on the first person default level.

Strange…

It makes migrating to the new engine a bit of a pain in the butt.

Hmm, I see!

I haven’t been going through the entire change log as its size is comparable to the Bible, but they have most likely changed something for you to experience this issue. I am glad you don’t experience this in a new project at least.

Hopefully someone else is able to chime in on the subject.

1 Like

Hey Clockwork! I know this is an old post but seeing as it’s relevant to me at this time I figured I would check in. I’m noticing the same issue. Only my framerate in the editor is 120 and in the packaged game it’s 30. I’m currently using 5.2.

I can’t recall what I did to fix that :melting_face:

But I would say, always update to the latest version.

1 Like

For future answer seekers, it’s impossible to guess why a game is slow, so you should always measure the game to see exactly what is slow before guessing why anything is slow.

Check out Maximizing Your Game’s Performance in Unreal Engine | Unreal Fest 2022 - YouTube to see the methodology of that.

1 Like

HEY, @ClockworkOcean (also, @Ari_Epic - I’ve watched your videos), have you figured out what is causing this? In the EDITOR, I’m getting 35-55, and in the PACKAGED GAME I’m getting 30-50.

There’s settings that I assume is causing this, but I have no idea, at the moment, which ones.

Some people suggested limiting the RESOLUTION and MAX_FPS, but that makes no sense to me. If the game can run 35-55 in the EDITOR with a bunch of assets cached, then it should run even better with assets cooked.

More people need to package their games so this issues is less ambiguous.

1 Like

I eventually just followed my nose, and sorted it out. Not much use in terms of concrete advice really… :joy:

TELL ME.

Maybe it’ll work for me?

:sob:

1 Like

I just got better at finding out what was slowing things down. Not through profiling, but just by removing things and putting the back until I found the culprit.

You can just get it working better in editor, then it will work better in the packaged game.

I know it’s not ‘cool’ to say you didn’t profile stuff, but I actually don’t find it very helpful :slight_smile:

There’s a pretty big learning curve before you can dig down and find the problem when profiling, it was just quicker for me to chop and change stuff until it worked.

1 Like

Okaaaaayyyy.

Logically still doesn’t make sense why EDITOR > PACKAGED GAME, however, I’m still in the throws of optimizing. So, this is more of a preventative concern than anything.

I won’t start freaking out until I’ve finished my optimization pass and still have low FPS.

It’s steadily going up, so hopefully, when I’m finished it’s okay.

Thanks for the info, as always!

1 Like

Feel free to start a new post (or private group). Could be fun to try and find ways to optimize if you are open to it.

1 Like

Just open a level, and delete everything. It should run at the same speed as the empty black level.

If it doesn’t, then there’s a hint already.

If it runs great, then put back half the stuff. Which half has the offending article?

Rinse and repeat :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love a view like shader complexity, but instead, the red objects are contributing most to frame time :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I certainly will take your advice and do this if, after finishing my pass, I still have issues. I really try to avoid avoiding issues, and take them on as early as possible, so I’m being a little premature here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.