Why does Oculus Quest packaged build look worse than VR preview?

Hello,

I’m using the VRTemplate and trying to package for the Oculus Quest 1 in Unreal 4.7. I’m using Android ASTC to do this.

The problem I’m having is that the image quality in the packaged build looks noticably worse than it does when using VR preview in Unreal. The whole scene is generally more pixelated, especially the thin emissive textures on the cubes in the scene. It also looks worse than other Oculus Quest content, such as the Oculus Quest lobby. It looks like Anti-aliasing is off, or perhaps some other related rendering features. Is this to be expected, or should the packaged build look the same as in VR preview?

I’ve previously changed a lot of rendering settings in “Project Settings” as I was having trouble getting a build to work at all, so that’s the obviously place I’d start looking, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I’m also keen to get an answer on whether “VR Preview” should “emulate” the same settings as the final packaged build, because the preview looks much better quality in the headset than the packaged build does.

Hi Samuel,

Your packaged builds will not look the same as VR Preview.

The best way to approximate what it will look like on The Quest is to change your Preview Rendering setting.

Click ‘Settings’ in the top bar → Preview Rendering Level → Change this to “Android Vulkan”

1 Like