Why does executable show UE4Game in task manager?

is your project called “UE4Game” by any chance?

glad you have solved it and thanks for sharing your answer :slight_smile:

The exe is named correctly and I have the correct name of the game from the game creation. Packaging always gives UE4Game.

Using windows 10 pro 64 bit. Compiling in Shipping 64 bit for Windows.

http://i.imgur.com/9Gt7UUG.png

Nope, It’s called EngineTest

http://i.imgur.com/T2xM4bd.png

I missed one creating while creating a new project.

Gotta also change
Project Settings → Project → Description → About → Project Name

Hey @Burnrate!
I have filled all description correctly and the name of the project is displaying correctly everywhere. but still my name in package is not correct. see screenshot

Are you sure Project Settings → Project → Description → About → Project Name is filled in correctly? I thought that one was the one that would name that.

Yes I’m sure. Actually my project name is showing correctly in task manager, but it’s parent process is different name. I think windows 10 couples multiple processes together. My game project with correct name becomes a child process of “Ue4game” process. I want to remove it or change its name in task manager

Is it a blueprint only project?

Yes it is blueprint project. But I also converted to c++. No effect. I have followed this completely Renaming a C++ project - C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums

Can you post a screenshot of the project settings where it shows the project name. Also try repackaging again to make sure you are using the latest build.

Might have to delete the intermediate folder in the project and rebuild them as well.

Here are some screenshots. I’ve created new Empty project using UE 4.21 named “MyNewProject”. I then changed name from project setting’s description from “UE4Game” to “MyNewProject”. Also tried converting project to c++ and then compiling it. Also tried deleting intermediate folder as well. All have same results. See screenshots of Task manager and Description tab.

Also have this issue- all project descriptions are correctly filled out, have cleared all saved / intermediate folders many times. The icon and name are correct in the shortcut produced by the package, however when you launch this shortcut a new process opens with the UE4 icon and the name “UE4Game”. In task manager it’s named UE4Game. Also if you right click the correct looking / named shortcut, the file description is UE4Game. Any help on solving this would be greatly appreciated. Seems to happen on any 4.21 projects that I’ve tested.

Did you manage to find a solution to this? Also experiencing the same issue.

@EoinOBroin I did not find any permanent solution, though, here is a work-around. Open the .exe file in binary/x64/ folder using visual Studio. To do that open VS, Menu>file>open>File and select the exe previously told. On opening, double click at top most hierarchy and there you can edit name, version etc whatever you need.
Although you will have to do this process everytime you make a build but it solves the problem and prevent all the other lengthy solutions.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this solution, looks like this could do the job perfectly. As long as the game displays the correct name I don’t mind doing that bit of work after each build!