Why does calling Show External Login UI sometimes crash the game?

Show External Login UI node seems to crash my android game about 10% of the time. Once the crash happens the only way to resolve is force close the app or restart the phone.

I suspect it has something to do with a logon failing or timing out because it crashes 100% of the time on a development compile which will always fail due to incorrect signatures.

Hi Distul,

Would you mind sharing your logcat output from when the crash occurs? It would be helpful in tracking this down.

You should be able to add the signature from your debug keystore to your app in the Google developer console in order to be able to log in with development builds. See Setting Up Google Play Games Services  |  Google Developers for details on doing this.

I’ve found that it crashes 100% of the time on development builds, but I suspect this is because the logon UI shows up due to a previous failed login. Since then I have been compiling as shipping and this has partially resolved the issue.

The project still crashes most of the time (90% or more) when the user is prompted to choose an account to sign into for Google Play Services. After crashing the app automatically restarts and an automatic logon is successful, so as long the Logon UI doesn’t show.

There is also a 100% crash rate when showing the leaderboard. The leaderboard will overlay the game and then the game will crash.

Here is a logcat of the leaderboard crashes. com.unpopularminion.shipping is the name of my package.

65607-logcat2.txt (680 KB)

I’ve attached the logcat. Does anything stand out to you?

bump. Still an issue.

Google Play Logon Select Account screen and Leaderboard crashes my game 100% of the time. On occasion, a logon passes even after the crash and then the project crashes every time it tries to logon to Google Play Services even if a prompt isn’t provided.

Go to the top of the settings and press the “Open Build Folder” button. It will open the build folder of your project.

In there you should be able to find the “GooglePlayAppID.xml” file which is located at <PROJECT NAME>\Build\Android\res\values.

Open the GooglePlayAppID.xml file with any notepade editor. When you open it, usually all it will contain is this:

Code:
<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>
<resources>
<string name=“app_id”></string>
</resources>
In this line you add the Applications ID which can be found in your Project Settings in the “Games App ID” box that you have hopefully already filled in. Otherwise the ID is available in the Google Developer Console.

Code:
<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8”?>
<resources>
<string name=“app_id”>YOUR GAMES APP ID HERE</string>
</resources>

Taken from: Integrate Google Play Services with Blueprint - Community Content, Tools and Tutorials - Unreal Engine Forums

Also having wrong google game app id in your project settings can cause crashes when loading external ui. Atleast that’s what was causing crashes for me.

Thanks for the post. I should of followed up awhile ago mentioning that I resolved this issue.

It was some sort of fluke because once I deleted some unused assets the issue went away entirely.