Why does a blank project ("with no code") come in at 140MB(+) when launching to device for development? I've seen similar questions posed since 4.9 and there still seems to be a problem even in 4.12

Why does a blank project (“with no code”) come in at 140MB(+) when launching to device for development? I’ve seen similar questions posed since 4.9 and there still seems to be a problem even in 4.12.

Basically when you make games in any game engine. most people won’t have that engine installed. So the engine is minified and compiled alongside your game. So that it can be run on machines that don’t have the engine. It would be impossible for the device to load a game if the code is dependent on an engine and the engine isn’t there.

TL;tr engine gets compiled and put alongside the project.

Anyone correct me if I’m wrong.

So UE$ can’t meet Google Play’s size limit?

You can reduce Size in various ways. Throw out unussed Assets, Disable unussed Plugins, Texture Compression etc.

UE4 is not pre setup for Mobile Development and also set to max compability that means it will Cook more stuff to support more devices instead of just cook what is needed for a single Device.

Take a look here:

And the Tappy Chicken example Project on the Playstore
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epicgames.TappyChicken&hl=en

Theres also a couple Talks they gave at GDC especially for Mobile Development should be up somewhere on their YT account.

You just have to know what you are doing =) and not expect the default settings to work out of the Box.

No, you just need to delete assets that are stored within the engine and disable any plugins that are being ussed. Read what Nachtmahr said.