Why do most of my blueprints break when packaging a dedicated server?

Hi, I have been working on a project that involves having a dedicated server communicate with clients. Everything works great when I am in the editor, I can select run dedicated server in the play drop-down before testing and be loaded into a multiplayer environment immediately with no issues. Here is a demo of what I am trying to accomplish (Inventory system, authentication etc…):


The issue comes when I build my project into a dedicated server with visual studio. I can open up the client and connect to the dedicated server, but almost everything that worked in the editor is broken entirely in the packaged project. The following error should almost never happen, as it means that after waiting the server still has not changed any replicated variables when trying to log in, not even the error message. This happens 100% of the time when the project is built.


Before I posted this I had the login system working on the dedicated server, but when I got in anything related to server-client was not working correctly like it did in the editor. Any help is appreciated, I am hoping that I don’t have to build and package every time I want to test the game, as there is little point in the built in dedicated server testing system if it produces inaccurate results.

Extra example: it seems client to server events, when called from the server, work in editor but not when packaged. I do not understand why there is any difference in how blueprints run based on whether it is packaged or not, as it only makes it harder to do stuff.

I was messing around and somehow got an entirely working build working for the dedicated server, not sure what I did but I only remember making all casts into pure casts. Strange but working out well so far.
Edit: I think I also rebuilt the server entirely instead of just building it in visual studio.

Hey Beeperdp,

Since you were able to get a build working, it’s possible that there was just a missed step somewhere or something got corrupted in the process. As a result of it working for you now, I’m going to mark this topic as resolved. If this issue pops up again and you are able to provide a set of repro steps that we can follow on our end, feel free to leave a comment to reopen the thread and we can continue to investigate.

Have a great day