Why do Landmass Brushes not work after Resampling the Landscape to Higher Resolution?

I am trying to learn how to create landscapes within Unreal Engine 5. I am following a tutorial series from Stylized Station, but wanted to learn how to use landmass brushes in order to create the landscape itself.

I looked at a few videos on YouTube and got the basic essence of how they work. Following from information I gained from Ben Cloward (Shader YouTuber), I tried to resample my environment in order to increase the environment resolution. This subsequently broke my landmass brushes: the ones I had already set up, and any ones I placed afterwards also did not work anymore.

Why do the landmass brushes seemingly break after resampling the landscape to a higher resolution? Also what is the correct way to increase landscape resolution after having created the landscape?

Thank you,
Nate

1 Like

I also donā€™t understand this what I presume is a bug. Will let you know if I solve it

1 Like

Hey, so I messed around a bit and I think if you clip it after resampling It brings back the Landmass stuff but Iā€™m so new I donā€™t know if this actually keeps the resample

Okay cool, thanks. I will give this a try!

Got the same problem, but in reverse. I wanted to resample by decreasing the resolution and got the same effect as you. My blueprint brushes are still all there, but they donā€™t affect the landscape.

Fancy_Feet.1

Hey, so I messed around a bit and I think if you clip it after resampling It brings back the Landmass stuff but Iā€™m so new I donā€™t know if this actually keeps the resample

What do you mean by clip it after resampling.

Hey what do you mean by clip. My landmass doesnā€™t seem to work with bigger landscapes and usually breaks after 500x500 63x63 Quads

I would guess in this context ā€˜clipā€™ means to drop below - that would be my best guess. If you have clipping geometry it is overlapping and z-fighting, so I guess the solution is to ā€˜clipā€™ the landmass brush into the surface of the landscape to bring it back. (Havenā€™t tried this, working on other projects)

Either this is a bug or the feature is currently not supported. The landmass blueprint brush breaks after using the Landscape Resize tool with ā€œResize Modeā€ set to ā€œResampleā€. However, you can get the information back by resampling back to the same settings you had previously (ie. if you resampled from 63x63 quads Section Size to 127x127 quads, switch it back to 63x63 and hit apply and the brush will reappear).

On the other hand, if you make changes to the settings but set the ā€œResize Modeā€ to use ā€œExpandā€ or ā€œClipā€ and then hit Apply, your landscape brush will be preserved. Unfortunately, these 2 other settings donā€™t really let you increase the ā€œOverall Resolutionā€ of the landscape much, they mostly affect the ā€œNumber of Componentsā€ and ā€œTotal Componentsā€ (you can compare what values will change based on your current settings under the ā€œOriginalā€ and ā€œNewā€ columns of the ā€œChange Component Sizeā€ dropdown when you activate the ā€œResizeā€ tool).