Why do I need Visual Studio 2022 x64 to compile my project

I get an error when I try to compile my project to windows.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): No Visual C++ installation was found. Please download and install Visual Studio 2022 with C++ components.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Visual Studio 2022 x64 must be installed in order to build this target.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Took 0.70s to run dotnet.exe, ExitCode=6
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): UnrealBuildTool failed. See log for more details. (C:\Users\lvenn\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_5.4\UBA-MyWorld3-Win64-Development.txt)
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool executed for 0h 0m 3s
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=6 (6)
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults: Error: Unknown Error

Why would I need Visual C++ to compile when I never used C++ or Visual Studio?
How do I fix this?
Is there an asset I can remove to make this go away?

I am just trying to learn after making a nice map.

Hey @Zoltan333! Welcome to the Forums!

Visual studios is still needed for the final build of the game which is done via C++. Please follow the instructions here:

Let me know if this works for you.

Could not find a way to apply these last 2 options

• Turn off Edit & Continue features; you do not need them. Go to Tools > Options > Debugging > Edit and Continue.
  • Turn on IntelliSense.

I keep getting these errors when I compile although I am sure I have the right MSVC v143.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Visual Studio 2022 is installed, but is missing the C++ toolchain. Please verify that the “MSVC v143 - VS 2022 C++ x64/x86 build tools (Latest)” component is selected in the Visual Studio 2022 installation options.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): UnrealBuildTool has banned the MSVC 14.39.33519-14.39.99999 toolchains due to compiler issues. Please install a different toolchain such as 14.38.33130 by opening the generated solution and installing recommended components or from the Visual Studio installer.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): Took 0.66s to run dotnet.exe, ExitCode=6

solve the problem by adding 14.38.33130 version.

Did not expect to take hours to compile.

1 Like

Hey @Zoltan333!

That’s great! Don’t forget to mark the solution as resolved if that solved your problem, that way anyone else who may have the problem can look to this thread for an answer!

Sory there is no button I can see to mark as resolved.