Why do deleted Content Browser folders reappear?

It’s pretty difficult to keep a project slim and clean if you have to fight against those anoying zombie-folders. Is it save to delete your folders in windows-explorer? Or does it mess up other (redirection) stuff if you do that? Sometimes I don’t really know anymore what’s there and what just looks empty. For example if an fbx import failed for some reason, and you fix fbx and reimport to the “empty” folder than you could crash UE4 editor.

I did a little digging through our bug reports, and found another that covers this better (UE-14559). However, it’s been fixed since 4.9. As long as you’re aware of information in this documentation regarding redirectors, and the Content Browser’s Filter ability to search for redirectors, you should be fine.

If you run a redirector fixup, it should remove these redirector files as expected, even when fixing up references in unloaded maps. Replacing references in maps in place is more complicated; for now, Replace References continues to leave redirectors. Maps can then be fixed up without issue.

Deleting redirectors manually in Windows Explorer is dangerous, and I’d definitely consider making a copy before doing so in case any references are broken when doing so.

If you’re still having issues in 4.9 and newer engine versions, please be descriptive in your process and give me steps to follow to recreate issue. Thanks!

I could not confirm this. “Show Redirectors” does not show anything.

Steps to reproduce:
Create new third person project 4.10.4 - no starter content: “TestProject”

Export SK_Mannequin.fbx to windows desktop (just to get same mesh to reproduce)

Create a new folder below “Content” called “Import”

Import SK_Mannequin.fbx from windows desktop into Import folder

Create new subfolders Import/Materials, Import/Misc, Import/Skeleton

Move skeleton of import to Skeleton folder, materials to Materials, physical asset to Misc

Open imported (and moved) skeleton, open retarget manager, select humanoid and save skeleton.

Do same with original UE4_mannequin_skeleton in Mannequin/Character/Mesh

Retarget ThirdPerson_AnimBP from Mannequin/Animations folder to new imported skeleton via rightclick on anim_bp

Click “Save All” and save all.

Close project and open it again.

Delete Import folder.

Close project and open it again: Import folder is back again.

Got to Filters->Misc->ShowRedirectors: Nothing here but “Drop files here or right click to create content.”

Rightclick on “Import” folder and klick on “Fix up Redirectors in folder.”
Delete it again.

Close project and open it again: Import folder is back again.

Change game mode to “Game mode”, remove Blueprints folder with Third person BP and Third Person Game mode.

Save all, restart project. Finally even remove origianl mannequin folder including skeleton. So only empty map and its meshes remain. Click “Fix up redirect” on any remaining folder (there are just a few left).
Close project and open it again: Import folder is back again… even if skeleton that was used as base for retargeting (including it’s subfolders) could be deleted successfully, imported mesh was never used and no redirectors show up.

Hello,

There is an issue in our database (UE-11796), that relates to folders not being removed completely from Content Browser. Thank you for your report.

Have a great day

editor just can’t delete folders at all, it only temporarily hides them from Content Browser. that’s how simple this 3+ year old bug/annoyance is.

There are no redirectors, just empty folders. and only way to remove them is by deleting in Explorer.

You could literally just create an empty folder in UE or Explorer. add nothing to it at all, then try delete in UE. nope, survives every time.

This message should be re-worded to explain that it is only temporarily hiding this folder from Content Browser, not deleting from HD.

This is super annoying , shouldn’t this be like totally fix like right now since most user would depend on content browser to keep their stuff organised? Get on top of this small but super annoying bug it’s been years.

Is UE-11796 ever going to be fixed? It’s driving me crazy in 4.12.5

Amen. Silly, stupid, very harmful-to-developer-experience bug.

Hello everyone,

I cleaned up post a bit due to an excessive number of answers, and wanted to provide an official update on this issue. This issue is currently in our system, UE-11796. It is being investigated by our developers; however, there is currently no timeline for when a fix will be released. Their efforts are currently heavily focused on high-priority crash and showstopper bugs. I will continue to provide updates regarding this issue as they become available.

Have a great day

For anyone who wants to have this fixed, go here to new public bug tracker and vote for it :slight_smile: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-11796)

bug is still here after 2 years. Using windows explorer to find and delete unused folders is not very professional when you work with over 2000 folders/sub folders .
Every “2 years old bugs” which are associated with very basic usage of engine are considered as low priority.
I don’t get it, why not fixing old bugs first before adding new features leading to new bugs?

Hey Haoris,

It looks like issue has been resolved for 4.14. You can track status of issue here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-11796)

Have a great day!

Nice. There’s so much little very old bugs like this one which can seams to be low priority for Epic staff but are really anoying for us (I had to buy a software only for this one)

Fix please - new vote needed on website - still very unfixed. Thanks

I’m using 4.14 and folders are still appearing after being deleted/moved or renamed first. Sometimes I’m unable to delete them - especially if there are empty folders inside, then I have to delete them one by one first. Isn’t Unreal Engine supposed to be mature enough, after so many years of development and so much cash inflow, to be free of such basic bugs?

Hello,

I’ve tested and confirmed that this is still occurring, and as a result I have reopened ticket.

Thank you for your report.

Not sure why you have to vote for something so blatantly wrong and soul crushing.

You don’t have to vote, if you click on link you see that it’s already fixed and fix will be in 4.14.1 :slight_smile:

Not entirely fixed, was able to delete some folders in 4.14.1 and then it stopped deleting additional folders after 3rd delete.

What … it’s still occuring really??!