Why do Character Blueprints typically have Camera components?

If you take a look at the first person blueprint template for example, you will notice that the FirstPersonCharacter blueprint has a FirstPersonCamera component that has been added to it. What confuses me is that if you delete this camera, then the FirstPersonCharacter blueprint still works just fine, with the camera being in the same correct spot. So it appears as though this camera component is redundant, and there must be some default camera being supplied by either the base class or by the player controller? In addition, the character class provides eye height variables so you can actually control where this “default” camera is placed. So I don’t understand why the first person character blueprint has a camera component in it at all?

What gets more confusing is if you create a custom player controller and open up its viewport in the blueprint editor, it too has a camera in it??? Now is that actually a real camera component (as I can’t see it in the components list) or is that just supposed to be some sort of visual representation of the player controller using the previously mentioned “default” camera?

Makes programming based on the cameras a lot easier when you can just drag in the component and work with that.

The player controller is a different class.

But why does the player controller have a camera in it (in its editor viewport)?

Because there may not always be a pawn but there will always be a Player Controller. There must always be a viewport as well. If no camera exists, the Camera Manager will create one, otherwise it will use one attached to another framework class, like the PC. It’s not necessary, it’s just there.

The Coccyx is generally unused for most activities a human performs in their lifetime, other than “sitting back” and “freaking people out”. It is not an integral part of the human skeleton being that we have lost our vestigial tail long ago, however it is in every single tailless mammal creature out there.

A lot like the camera.