Why do BSP brushes reset position after editing, including stairs?

I find it to be frustrating to use meshes and brushes for different reasons when blocking out a layout.

For brushes, they keep resetting when I edit them, I have no idea how to turn this off or why anybody would want that. How do you even use the stairs tool properly if every time you place it and make an adjustment, it rotates and translates out of view?

For meshes, I find them really hard to block with because I cannot scale them in the direction I want it is very frustrating. I want to be able to select a mesh face like a brush and scale the side that I want.

The scale tool, I don’t really understand how it decides what to do. If I hold ctrl it will scale on 2 axis uniformly, but I do not know how to scale a side of a mesh in the direction that I want.

I just want a system closer to the Source Engine when it comes to blocking. The method that exists now is totally inferior, you have no sense of precision, no true grid, no sense of scale, you are just blocking totally blind without reference. Once I’m finished blocking my map, do you just export it into a modeling program and then remake it? In the “realistic rendering” demo they even had the ceiling into a perfectly fitting model, I don’t really understand how you can achieve such accuracy when making the model.

-enable grid snapping (little buttons at the right top corner of the viewport) -> there you can change different values or even disable it
-go into the “4 window view” -> also in the right top corner.

Unfortunately this isn’t possible

You could move your pivot (middle mouse button onto the pivot -> move) to the e.g right side of the mesh -> now you can scale it into one direction

Why on earth do they make you scale objects, then translate them back to where they need to be? If you could simply choose the direction your model scales you would not have to translate it back to where you want it after.

So from what I gather, blocking things our in UE4 is a waste of time. Even looking at the example files, there’s maybe like 6 walls and a floor to a scene. you just want to rip the hair out of your head getting any more complex.

I dont know how you are doing it :wink: but in my case it works pretty well -> Have you already took a look at a BSP brush tutorial: ?v=Y5HKJyiPDVo
Also take a look at the official level design tutorial: ?v=XDsJOFyxMnw

Just my 2 cents, I’ve been playing with BSP brushes for the past few days to prototype a level for my game and I totally feel the pain described by the OP.

It seems you really have to know specific things that tick the BSP part of the engine off and avoid those to be able to leverage the brushes properly. There’s plenty of gotchas and not-so-obvious limitations that can really catch you by the collar if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I also faced a lot of random freezing / crashes / undo related hanging and the geometry tools (edit/extrude/pen/split) while very useful are somewhat clunky and unintuitive to use in my opinion. If I could start over again I’d probably just prototype my level in Blender and use BSPs only if I really have to…

Make sure to vote for the geometry editor 2.0 https://trello/c/XfSl7gQf/91-geometry-editor-2-0 :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply, nice to see it has 218 votes already despite being bottom on the priority list - I’ll vote as soon as I get myself a trello account.