Why can't I start the editor?

Hi !

My name is Jörgen Petersson, in Sweden.

*jorgen112@live.se *

I bought Unreal Eng 4 a week ago via your web-page.
19 dollar +5.

I downloaded the file, but when clicking on the icon, nothing happens.

What I really wanted, is to run the UDK Editor.
I thought Unreal eng 4 included UDK Editor. Is that right ?

Br Jörgen Petersson.

UDK is the free version of the Unreal Engine 3 → you can download it from here: https://www.unrealengine/products/udk/

UE4 is a completely new engine ^^

Your question is confusing. Are you talking about UE4 or UDK?

For UE4 you’ll want to run the launcher and install UE4 from that. Then when you run the launcher click the yellow launch button, selecting or making a new project will open the editor. But it’s the UE4 Editor, not the UDK Editor.

I assume you talking about Unreal Engine 4 :stuck_out_tongue: What does not lauch, laucher or editor that you run from laucher? Give u more details because w won’t able to diagnose the problem jut with info you gave us

First of all I like the UDK Editor very much. I thought that you need to pay, download and install UE4 in order to run the UDK editor. But maybe theese programs are compleetly separate from each other.

I will try your suggestion. Many thanks.

Hi !

After downloading and install UE4, I got the icon on my screen. Clicking on that and nothing happens. I cannot see anyt6hing happen. No yellow button.
My computer meets all requirements.

Hi !

Do I really need UE4 in order to work with UDK editor ?
Are theese programs separate and not connected to each other ?
BR Jörgen. (JUP)

First UDK is fre version of UE3, don’t use UDK when you talk about UE4 because it confuse people. 2nd… i didn’t give you any suggestions ho to fix this :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi JUP,

UE4 and UDK are two different products. UDK is the free version of the third Unreal Engine and is free to use. You do not need a subscription to UE4 to use it and it can be installed from here: https://www.unrealengine/products/udk. UE4 is the fourth Unreal Engine that was released in March of this year and is 19 a month. If you have already purchased a subscription to UE4 I would highly recommend sticking with this instead of reverting back to the UDK engine. You can cancel your subscription at any time and continue to use the editor. To get updates when you want to you merely have to re-subscribe at the time you wish to get the updates. I hope this helps!

Hello Jörgen,

I apologize for the confusion in this post. Everyone else has already explained to you the difference between UE4 and UDK. I will focus on your actual UE4 problem.

ISSUE: When you run the “Unreal Engine” shortcut on your desktop, nothing happens.

• Can you confirm that you are the system Administrator on your account?
  • Have you tried disabling any Anti-Virus software which is running in the background?
  • Please export and attach your system’s Dxdiag report
  • Have you tried to restart your system. Or to uninstall and reinstall UE4?

We have had other people report a similar problem, and we are still investigating for them as well.

Thank you.