Why are physics objects so floaty?

I’ve added several large stones to my environment and set them to simulate physics. I want the player to be able to bump them around but not send them flying. I’ve got the mass set to 50,000,000KG (500 tonnes) and a linear and angular damping of 1.0 but they still look as if they’re floating in water when they fall to the ground. Why does the mass have to be so huge and what can I do to make an object feel like it’s heavy but not go shooting off like a rocket when I bump into it?

Anyone know how to make the physics objects feel heavier?

Setting the angular and linear dampening to 1 is what’s causing them to look as if they’re in water as they fall. To make the objects feel heavier, you need to create a physical material, set the friction and density values, and assign it to your heavy objects.

Thank you!
Can you make this into an answer so I can mark it as the right one?

As much as physics simulation is “realistic”, I found increasing gravity definitely helps my physics game feel more realistic. From the default -980 I often run -1500 to -2000.

And yes, assigning physics materials to the various materials is also useful. But gravity is the lead ‘floatiness’ factor, not friction or dampening.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I’ll play with the gravity settings too. It also seems insane to me though, the amount of force that your character can imbue on an object simply by bumping into it. I’m guessing the physical material will fix this?

Another thing you might consider doing for the character at least is to go under character movement and adjust the physics force settings, the touch force for the character is extremely high by default, for my character I nerfed it down to 750

Thanks ujrkingdom. I actually tried that but it had absolutely no effect. It seems that because I added Collision spheres to my character’s fist, they don’t take on the settings of the character and they’re sending everything flying too but there’s no option to lower their touch force that I could find.

ujrkingdom’s answer actually worked for me. I changed Push Force Factor from 750000 to 500 and now it’s acting accurately.