Why are my character components in the level so different from the character components in the blueprint editor?

I have a blueprint inherited from the Character class. I set up the mesh in the components tab of the blueprint and lined it up with the root capsule. Then I dropped it in the level and the capsule and the character mesh were completely misaligned. See the attached screenshot.

I tried adjusting the components tab and watching the level editor to see when the level editor said they were lined up. But when I clicked play the character dropped part way through the floor as if the root capsule was still misaligned.

I thought part of the problem might be that this character didn’t have an animation blueprint yet so I tried a character that did. Then I noticed something that might be a related issue. The character pose in the level does not match the character pose in the components view of the blueprint. This means I can’t tell if the starting position of the character is correct.

What the heck is going on? I have not been able to figure this out and its preventing me from moving on with what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi z5Rng!UQMc8ASvqH,

Can you show me the collision settings you have on your mesh as well as your capsule? Additionally, what do you have set up in your event graph of your blueprint?

I don’t have anything on either characters’ event graph.

The mesh is set to Collision Presets “Character Mesh”. The Capsule is set to “Pawn”. The chair I was attempting to make the character sit on is set to “Block All”. The character still goes straight through. Thanks for the help. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Are you using Animation Blendspaces to get the sitting position?

Nope. I have an animation blueprint, but the input to the pose is just an idle sitting animation.

Have you had a look into Root Motion? You can find information on this here:

I have, but my character wasn’t moving. So I don’t think that was the issue. Anyways I’m no longer using the character blueprints so this is no longer an issue for me. Thanks for your help though.