Why am I getting an External Objects Error when trying to save my level?

Hello,

I cannot save my level anymore…

I get the following error:

Can’t save I:/Unreal/_Projects/03 Test/Content/Maps/AP.umap: Graph is linked to object(s) in external map.
External Object(s):
Save_C_0
/Engine/Transient

Help please…

So… no one has had this problem?

This has also happened to me in multiple scenarios on previous builds… it can sometimes be the result of moving brush actors between levels and trying to save before building geometry, or somehow one of your objects is saving a reference to a PIE copy object. But it’s also happened for other unknown reasons. Can the new reference-deleter tool thingy be used to get more info?

Examine your Folder structure; first making sure all your project directories in question are set correctly. Your complete level maps should be saved @ for example: OS Win 8.1 Pro;
C:\Users\User\Documents\Unreal Projects\Your Unreal Directory\Content\Maps.

You can move brush Actors between levels (if properly done). You don’t want Folder Structure conflict and that’s one of the benefits of “Migration” function in the “Editor” with instructions how to work it the right way; anything less will cause issues, warnings messages etc.

Works fine for me all the time. I hope my two cents helps in any way.

I have only one level - I didn’t migrate of moved anything. Still no luck… I’ll keep trying…

Thanks for you answer. The thing is I am only working in 1 level (no moving, migrating… or anything like that). Where can I find the “new reference-deleter tool thingy”?

Got it, if anyone has this problem the issue was that I was trying to load settings from a saved file in the Constructor part of a Blueprint.
Still the error is very vague and I wasn’t able to save my level at all - seams like a bug to me…

You are doing something or trying to do something out of the set parameters; of course, there will be issues. It doesn’t mater if it’s a LEVEL or more. When you try to do anything with UE4 and resulted strange?; double check your steps and ask: “Is this the only approach or what other possibilities will work for me?”. Folder structure is very important to all user’s issue;and UE4 have made things easy compared to UDK…REALLY!!!. Yes, it might take many users longer to grasp the basics, but it will happen. We have to keep trying to understand how UE4 rolls. Very exciting actually.