White dot in center during playback and rendering?

Hey so i get this white dot in the center of my Playback Window, kinda like its part of the HUD or something. it wouldn’t be too bad, but it also appears in renders from the sequencer, so im completely stuck with it. It doesnt happen with any other maps in the same project. Does anyone know if this is something I can turn off? Or will I have to just start a new Map?
Screen Capture of what I’m talking about

Hi Lacey, Welcome to the Forums,

Just a heads-up that I’m seeing a ‘video unavailable’ message for your vid.

I also wonder if you are working with a blank/template project or something like Lyra?

Cheers.

1 Like

This seems to be a very common question but there is no answer. Why cant someone just say how to render without the white dot in the center of the screen? Is it because of a render setting or because the video being rendered is from a demo sample project? Please could someone give an answer. there are clearly a lot of newcomers to Unreal Engine who are asking this.

It is not normal to have a white dot in the center of the screen, unless you specifically configure a HUD widget or something like that.
Separately, some graphics cards have “game overlays” that can do things like adding crosshairs in the center of the screen. You should check that you haven’t turned something like that on.
If you still have the problem, take a screen shot (try Win-S and select the play area) and paste it into your post so we can see what it looks like.

I wouldnt even know where to turn that on or off. Thats why I am asking for help. I have attached two images to show the dot in the middle.

Which project are you using here?

Some things to try:

1. Go the searching route:
  • What HUD does your GameMode specify, if any?
  • What GameMode is the default for the project, as opposed to for your map?
  • What objets create Widgets or add them to the screen?
  1. Go the constructionist route:
  • Make a brand new map in the same project, using the “blank level” template – does it have the problem?
  • Start with a “third person template” project – does it have the problem?
  • Add one piece of content at a time to the project. After which piece does this dot appear?
  1. Go the reductivist route:
  • Delete one kind of thing at a time from the game – when does the dot disappear?

Obviously, make sure you have a checked-in stable copy to start from, first, so you can revert to what you have now.

1 Like

Thanks I will try that. I dont know how to make a safe copy of the project though. The project is a free download from Epic Market Place. If I render the premade parts from the flythough of the exisitng level it renders fine but as soon as I use the world to create my own shots this white dot appears.

Hi. I figured it out. It does have to do with the game setting. I have created a YouTube video to explain it. I’m sure it will help others who have struggled with it. Click this video link to see how to solve it.White dot in center during playback and rendering? Unreal Engine

Setting the GameMode to “None” (which is the solution at the end of that video) doesn’t work if you’re making a game, of course :slight_smile: Should work fine for a render.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.