Download

Which laptop for UE4

Hi, I’m currently looking for a laptop for my 3rd year at university in September, where I will be doing Games Development, and programming using UE4. I’ve been looking and I want a 2-in-1 laptop as I can use it with a stylus during lectures to write notes on and I also indulge in art from time to time.

The specs UE4 list as recommended are these:

• Desktop PC or Mac
  • Windows 7 64-bit or Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later
  • Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 2.5 GHz or faster
  • NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series card or higher
  • 8 GB RAM

I’ve come across thisHP Envy x360 and I was wondering if this would be good enough to run it. The main thing I’m worried about is the graphics, it has the 8GB ram. The envy has integrated AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics so I’m unsure whether or not this will suffice.
If not would anybody be able to recommend a 2-in-1 laptop capable of running UE4?
Thanks

I have one of the 13" versions of that laptop (with R7 2700u), which I use for Uni stuff. I haven’t tried UE4 with it.
I’d be surprised if the 15" isn’t a bit faster but I don’t think the experience will be that good.

I work at a consumer electronics store in the laptop/PC department and we have one of those on display, don’t buy one without looking at the screen (with power unplugged), it has probably the dimmest/hardest to see screen out of the ~30+ or so we have on display, even worse than some of those super budget laptops with 32GB of emmc and Celeron N3000 series CPUs.
The screen on the 13" is significantly better, but not amazing.
Also remember that with the AMD APU laptops system memory is shared between the CPU and GPU, unlike similarly priced i5 + MX150 (or similar) laptops.

HP didn’t bother designing a more robust cooling solution for APUs either, as far as I know this is the same for most if not all of the Ryzen based ultrabooks. So if you dislike hearing the fan going, don’t buy one. It doesn’t get hot in the lap due to the ridiculously low temperature throttling setup (lookup ryzen STAPM throttle), there may be ways around this to get a whole lot more performance and it’s also probably not as bad on the 15".

With that negative stuff out of the way, I do like my one, I tried all of the keyboards on the laptops we have on display (Lenovo, Apple, Microsoft, Acer, HP (and Omen), Dell (and Alienware), MSI) and it feels better to me than all of them except the Microsoft ones (Surface Book 2).

If I had the money I would have got a Surface Book 2 with dGPU, but I didn’t so I got what I thought was the next best thing.
I suspect the Intel based Envy with dGPU might have been a better buy (especially for UE4 type stuff), but you miss out on the sexy color of the Ryzen ones hahaha.

As a note, I have played The Witcher 3 on the laptop (I think medium settings? Don’t remember).

The integrated radeon graphics should be fine, much better than integrated Intel. You won’t be gettting amazing fps, but its fine for learning. If you want a step up still with 2-in-1 with stylus, check out the HP Spectre lineup with dedicated GPU. Even an older used/refurb model will beat the 2700u.

You can look on these variants 5 Best Gaming Laptops Reviews of 2021 in the UK - BestAdvisers.co.uk. I’m using HP and satisfied with it. Played Witcher 3 on it with full graphic. Aweosome!

The dimness of the screen won’t be much of an issue for me, I will be using it mostly indoors anyway.

Yeah money’s my main issue too, I can get a relatively cheap gaming laptop what will run ue4 but it won’t be a 2-in-1, or vice versa. The combination of the two skyrockets the price which isn’t good for me.

I don’t need the best frames, just something where its not sluggish and hard to work with so I think this will be fine. As with the spectre, I had a look already and the price becomes just to expensive for my budget.

These would have been pretty good had I not wanted it also to be a 2-in-1, but thanks anyway!