Which console controller for UE4(PC)?

I’d like to buy a console controller for prototyping gameplay which one works best or is supported by UE4 on Windows 7: XBOX 360,XBOX One, PS4 ?

From experience the Xbox controller (usb) should work right out of the box, the PS4 / might need some setup.

For PC? Xbox. and PS4 (but im not sure on one) controllers are HID compatible so windows will see all the buttons and axis, but controller use non standard init call which Windows does not send and controller remains inactive, so it requires extra drivers. Linux on other hand supports controller out of the box.

Thanks, do you mean the Xbox 360 controller? If so I’ll buy that, I just want something that works flawless with UE4/Windows 7.

Then take Xbox 360 Controller

I use an aftermarket Afterglow usb intended for Xbox360 without any issues on my pc for both Windows and Linux and Steam. I had to configure the buttons on Steam in Linux once, but it works.

You can buy a Wired Xbox 360 controller and just plug it in and practically every game will support it. UDK and UE4 both support it as well. If you want wireless there’s a wireless connector thing you can get for your PC so you can use your wireless Xbox 360 controller.

SO far the Xbox One Controllers don’t work on pc yet. I’ve been keeping an eye on that. I want one for my pc. Microsoft is taking their sweet time making a driver for them to work.

Other than that. I recommend Xbox 360 Controllers. That’s what I’m using.

Anyone can confirm that Xbox 360 Controller works with UE4 on Windows 8.1 (64 bits)? MS drivers seems to stop with Windows 7.

well I don’t know which controller works best but my xbox one control works perfectly with UE4, I was using it the other day:)

What a difference 4 months make!

Yes it does, just plug in the USB, as soon as you do windows will download and install the necessary drivers (20 seconds tops) and then you’re done. And it works perfectly with UE4 as well. :slight_smile:

I would highly recommend the Xbox 360 Controller for your PC controller. Fell in love with it when I first used it to play BioShock Infinite on PC. Very easy to setup as well.

Edit: A little late to the party.

Great! :slight_smile: Thank you for the confirmation!!

Personally I suggest you use what ever controller’s platform you plan to release on. That way you can get the feel of the buttons better instead of just tossing them around to where ever you think they might fit best.

FYI, today I tested - under Windows 8.1 64-bits Professional - both Xbox 360 controller and Logitech F310 gamepad. Using “Vehicle Game” as test, both gamepads are properly detected by UE4 and used in-game.

Personally, I’ve been using the PlayStation 4 DualShock 4. I haven’t tested the Xbox One, but I would expect it’d work. Each might require some slight setup, though I’ve never had to do anything but plug-and-play with the Xbox 360 controller.

I have, only needed to install the drivers:D