Where should i put created content

I am wondering if i should open my project directory and put it in the correct folder or not, currently I have been just putting stuff on my desktop and dragging it into the content browser but i dont know if thats ok to do or not, it seems ok since i delete the files from my desktop and they are still there in UE4 even after restarting the editor, but im unsure, does anyone know if just dragging stuff from the desktop is fine or will it create problems down the road?

UE imports the file and creates a uasset from the source file, So you may be deleting your original import file.

You will have to look at your content folder to see if the files are copied there.

HTH

Edit: I keep my source(original) files outside in there own folder and I export/convert from those to an appropriate format for UE.

awesome thanks!

A little offtopic…

What about when migrating content from other project? could I put it in a subfolder in Content? (so to keep things clean and organized if I import from different projects) or all goes under content?

That’s because you have to copy all the referenced assets and place them where each other asset expects them to be.

HTH