Where should I invest the most for UE4? GPU, CPU or RAM?

For me the first is the GPU, after the CPU AND the memory.

I can tell you a long texte with specification but to be more quicker when I work on project in UE4, I see my GPU begin hot and work a lot of time :wink:

(sorry for my english)

I’ve seen quite a few people ask about specs, however those are dated 2015 or before. It’s been such a long time since I’ve been involved in game design of any kind (circa 2007) so in trying to get back into development as a level designer, I’m trying to figure out where I should invest the most in building my DevBox, specifically for UE4.

I would recommend you to invest in CPU. Either when you compiling ~7k shaders for new map, or when you are building lightmap for a few hours, your CPU will be used in 100%.

Both of those things are bottle necked by RAM not CPU

UE4 editor is very RAM hungry so don’t save on RAM, 8 GB is absolute minimum, 16GB works fine for me so far but i didn’t work on nay high end stuff yet on my new PC so i don’t know, i know Kite demo is RAM black hole. GPU and CPU depends on what you planing to do, but if you plan to do anything highend, the better CPU and GPU the more you can do. Note that more cores actually improves processing speeds in game development, like code compilation and lightmap shader building. VR are known to require beefier GPU to handle stereo rendering with high frame rate.

I know this is a late answer this is a message to future people who are lurking through Google or other search engine. My suggestion is investing in following order.

1. CPU
  2. RAM
  3. GPU
  4. STORAGE

My minimum recommendation 16 cores of CPU, 32GB of RAM, RTX 2060, and an SSD/NVME both has to be over than 500GB avoid installing UE4 on HDD. I also do recommend you slightly upgrade your RAM and STORAGE capacity so do get a PC case that has over 9+ or more internal or external drive-bays. It is a ■■■■ shame that CORSAIR, Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Fractal, Etc… have stopped selling PC case with over 4+ drive-bays since there are independent developers, content creators, filmmaking, sound design, music, and photography would die to have more storage for both Nvme, SSD, and HDD for their projects.

I recommend investing on a PC case with over 9+ more drive-bays you need as much storage as you will need it without relying on cloud storage services.

1 Like