Where do I ask Tim Sweeney UDK source?

With my little skills of visual studio and cpp I think I can do something, how to ask Epic that? hehehe
I don’t want UDK to die because 64 bit thing…

You don’t have to ask.Just pay them 1k and you will have the source code.Having in mind how much it used to cost, 1k is quite acceptable.But, man UE5 in like a year or so.I decided to jump over ue4 but will go on 5 when the time comes.Udk is doing quite acceptable in 64bit mode.I don’t see any problems with final 64 bit cooked games.

1 Like

Oh well you can I don’t hehehh :cool::mad:

Go to this page: Download - Unreal Engine Then go to Custom Games License and click on Start the Conversation.

alright nathaniel : ) :rolleyes:

EPIC is not licensing UE3 anymore. And I think you should jump for UE5. I plan to do this as soon as I finish the game I am current working on.

Don’t take me wrong I don’t want the new engine to fail, ofc but I have the feeling that it will fail at something like UE4 did… and we all now how is the beginning of an engine even the end of one… years until is solid. UDK is better at performance and graphics depending of the project you are trying to make.

Just look at graphics of GOTA ported into UE4, cartoonish as hell… levels and characters, And not only that the animation system is not as good as UDK …

https://www.indiedb.com/games/gladia…or-manager-080

a lot more though … if my eyes could talk you’d hear the loudest noise evar!

I’m sorry but how did UE4 fail? it had some unstable releases and sure it has many experimental/beta features but the core things have been solid for years. most cases I’ve seen of people running into big problems (corrupted projects) were very complex BP-only projects which is a bad idea in itself (source control is a nightmare since BPs are not ascii)
graphics can be made more realistic more easily but your assets need to be authored with PBR workflow (migrating non-PBR assets won’t give good results), but the industry has moved to PBR years ago so you probably should want to learn how that works.
graphics-wise the rest is just modifying the stock postprocess settings and understanding how the lighting+reflections actually work. tweaking the TemporalAA to be less blurry is also a common thing. all in all if you want realistic you just need to learn, and once you know what you’re doing you’ll get much better results in any PBR renderer compared to non-PBR.

I know this is the second thread I derail on UE4 vs UDK so I’ll stop doing it :smiley:
but if you’re serious about being a game developer I can’t stress enough how important it is to learn and master the newer technologies

I agree with Chosker. You can’t blame an engine because your lack of understanding how it works. I plan to move for Unreal Engine 5 on my next games. I know there are a lot of things I need to learn, especially the Physically Based Rendering workflow for my assets, but as it is said, we need to accompain technology.

I also know there is still space for “old tech” like Ion Fury game, which was made with the original Duke Nukem 3D Engine, and Wrath: Aeon of Ruin.

Cheers

Well I want to say that UE4 failed in some aspects not in general… But honestly lesson learnt don’t pay first versions, and wait until they say it’s solid…
So you are saying Chosker, That PBR it’s the top notch now right ? and so that i should learn it, ok, for now I just know how to render 2d shapes with open GL and barely… lol

Well thanks for posting guys :smiley: Thread bookmarked…

My two cents on this: There are many pros and many cons with UE4, but by this point it definitely does surpass UE3 in many ways. Neohongo and Chosker are both right on their analogies (the former is half-right).

I use to be very much for staying on UDK but that was due to the cons of the early UE4 versions: Most importantly, it use to be anti-UGC, and the art style for a game like Maze Qore was not to my desire in the engine, and the lighting auto-adjustments were driving me insane! it was hard to setup lighting properly in the engine and thus UDK was a better option for Maze Qore. This however changed since 4.22 when lighting options were more available and made somewhat easier for me. Another problem I realized is that I was simply ill-experienced with working on UE4. Most of my knowledge with UE3 was simply inadequate with the successor engine and I found myself having to relearn nigh everything if I was to make the best out of UE4.

UE3 had a great run and for older projects that have yet to release and are far deep in progress, I would say its best to stay with UE3 and finish the fight. For new projects, I have decided to leave UDK behind indefinitely and moved to UE4 and other different engines when necessary, especially due to platforming disadvantages.

I do not want to let the UDK build of Maze Qore fall to waste, so I will rebrand it as a new, different, arcade game.

To be fair though, GOTA was never so graphically appealing, even by UE3 standards. You really need to make great use of material shaders and nodes mate.

For instance, just looking at this screenshot, there are many things I can think of doing to improve the quality of the graphics. Thus far, only the player’s helmet stands out. The sword, shield, sand, trees, and humans, all lack PBR shading, which already exists in UE3. You need not to practice shading language to achieve this. The nodes make this easier. I can guide you on that via Discord if you need help on achieving the results.

Otherwise, it feels like an above average Unreal Engine 2.5 game.

On topic: I do think acquiring the full source for UE3 could do wonders for Gladiators of the Arena, though it will require a LOT of work with the source code to prepare this game for consoles or service feature (ie. Xbox Game Pass), which requires approval from Microsoft, Sony, and.or Nintendo to gather the respective console SDKs, and while Xbox’s is granted free of charge, Sony’s cost money, and Nintendo’s terms may be a Pandora’s box. And don’t get me started with the upcoming KFC console…

Epic Games told me all this when I tried to get source code for UE3 to finish work on Maze Qore due to engine-threatening bugs that need to be fixed C+±side. I figured it was best to just abandon UDK and move to UE4 to avoid the nightmare, since my C++ skills are lackluster in terms of external library installments.

I agree who controls the material editor in UE3 rules the world, it’s not the same in UE4, in UE4 you need HIgh high quality assets. Well I think I can force GOTA alot more in graphics terms… But would it change so much.

I want the UDK source for reason, Make innovative games with decenet performance and graphics, Like i want to generate a game that generates games but I would need source, My Cpp skills aint too bad, with this dude even monkeys learns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qITIvVV6BHk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZgLY0m8wLI THe engine just draws a thing I added the collision simpliest evar and yeah turned them into actors with basic AI .

For that you need visual studio 2008/2010 version but microsoft won’t allow to install these old previous versions but if you’re c++ programmer I can send it to you with vs on dm. Anyway if you have some reverse engineering skills I notice ue3/udk is based on .net framework :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I want it to see the code to ; D

1 Like