When i zip my project and open it, its just the basic level setup and content.

Even after I define the list of maps to include in packaged build and zip, I am only prompted with the basic level setup and an empty content browser. Also my project is 9.5gb, and the zip file is only 1.7gb. Also I am not trying to package and build this level, only zip it and upload to a drive so others can work on my unreal level. Does anyone have a solution to this issue because I have been looking around endlessly and every solution that I have seen is to include PAK file, and list the map included in packaged build.

Also I am zipping up from the dropdown in unreal and prompted with the basic level after completing the zip. I have also tried just zipping my folder in my file explorer, after this I have a zip file that matched the file size of my project (which doesn’t happen when i zip from unreal dropdown), but still am prompted with a basic level after opening the scene.

When zipping Unreal only uses the CONFIG and CONTENT folder and the *.uproject file. So the size could be possible. What you could try is to set your map as the standard map in PROJECT SETTINGS => MAPS&Modes:

And what do you mean with empty content browser? Is there really nothing ? could you show a screenshot? Did you maybe activate a filter?

Thanks for response! I actually have set the startup map and game default map as you advised prior to sending this post.

and yes the content browser is literally empty, I reset filters as you advised above as well.

here is the file size after the zip aswell compared to my original file size.

Ok, could you try to RightClick your folders inside the ContentBrowser and choose FixUpRedirectorsInFolder? After that SaveAll, close it. Then copy your complete project folder and inside this copy delete everything except CONFIG,CONTENT and the *.UPROJECT file. Check the size of it (~1,7GB?) and try to start this project.

Quick question: Are all computers using the same version of Unreal Engine? (You can open assets in later versions of the engine, but not earlier than engine version created)

ok i copied the folder. deleted everything you mentioned and the file size is 2.5 gb. I opened up the project and it worked correctly.

now when i zip it up i have the same issue that the content browser is empty and i have a basic level scene.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? All i am trying to do is zip up my project correctly so others can work on this scene. It seems like a simple task but I am running into so many issues.

You could try to save the zip on a different HDD/SSD or start EpicGamesLauncher/Unreal as admin and try again.

Or you use SourceControl or use the zip from the method with the copied project folder.

I tried zipping on different drive, running as admin, and zipping the copied folder and still same issue. Also I tried using the github but since my file size is 9gb i cant create a repository.

This is an ongoing issue. How am I the only one facing these issues, zipping a project shouldn’t be so tedious I feel like.

Hey,
are you allowed to upload that project? Or can you try to create a sample project, zip it and try if the same happens for this project? If yes, upload your test project.

I am curious if anyone found a resolution as I am experiencing the same problem of my sipped and copied files being blank.