When I enable landscape edit layers it crashes

Ok, so I have been trying to enable landscape edit layers on a big landscape 128km x 128km so that when 4.26 comes out I can use the water on it but It will not let me and it just crashes But please tell me that I won’t have to redo the entire landscape because I have almost finished it.

I have the same Problem :’(

I have tried everything but it is not working I am just going to redo it

And you should also redo it too cause it will just not work

I’m having the same issue. I have “Edit layers” checked and create a landscape, Ue4 crashes. Also if I checked it after it has been created.

export your landscape tiles as a backup this may not be ideal if your layers to use set materials not sure if there is a mask that can also be exported to go with it… I have had nothing but nigthmares since adding layers it was ment to make life easy crash sensitive or what 6 months step backward in development because of it using it on 1km tiles 1009 res only going for 16km x/y across world in total = 256sq km also… (Ue4.26 running windows 10 pro rtx2060 card 128gb ram 8cores @ 4.2g it cant be my pc) can sucsessfully load 16 tiles at once on world comp without crash use to load all 256 no problem put that down to extra data used? with layers but just look at it wrong it just says BYE BYE I’m CRASHING

Same for me on 4.26

Copy landscape and paste it into empty lvl (Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V ) enable edit layers there. and copy it back to the original lvl… don’t ask me why but this worked preventing the crash for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

The size of 16384x16384 is hardcoded if you exceed this limitation with your Landscape Ue4 will crash, its hardcoded in D3D11Texture.cpp. A checkf causes the unwanted exit. (https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/feedback-for-epic/43460-why-do-check-and-checkf-have-to-crash-the-entire-engine)

And it doesn’t matter if it a tiled or untiled Landscape.

The texture size is defined in “extern RHI_API TRHIGlobal GMaxTextureDimensions;”
I think it is a current limitation of RHI (Rendering Hardware Interface) of UE4.

It seems so that if you want bigger Landscapes you have to deactivate “Enable Edit Layers”.

im using a overall size 8129x8129 landscape and enabling edit layer crashes with message
“Requested texture2d x size too large: 32768, 16384”

am i right in asuming that the new layer is using not a new height-texture that gets blended but extending the default one?

Still got this problem here… is there a solution to this in 5.1? Or is there another way to create large open worlds? Im new to unreal engine but an empty world without textures should be easily created by todays hardware in my opinion… i mean why the engine didnt just create this landscape step by step? Who cares if i have to wait till its finished, but just crash?.. cmon…