When baking an animation made with control rig and sequencer, some bone translations are not captured

I’m trying to create in-engine animations by baking out sequences I’ve made in control rig. I have no problem getting the process to work, except for one detail - if I translate a part of my skeleton (for example, a breathing animation where I move the spine_03 bone upwards) and then bake it to an anim sequence, the vertical movement is not captured. I will sometimes see related animation that moved as a result of my IK rig, but the vertical movement doesn’t work.

I tested this in the Control Rig sample and the result was the same, so I’ve eliminated my rig as the cause. My guess is that there is something about animating with an IK rig that makes it impossible for bones to move outside of certain limits / constraints, but I don’t understand enough to put it together.

Can anyone offer some insight?

yo I am encountering this issue as well the spine transformation movement does not bake into the animation but I can see the control transform it… trying to make a recoil animation here… smh plz fix bug soon epic… or are we missing something

Hi !
I got the exact same problem, did you find any solution to this issue ?

Anyone ever find a solution to this?? i have a transform on the Yaw to produce a spin between animations and it doesnt record either, yet it play smoothly in the original sequence. is this is a bug?? so frustrating

I ultimately just exported the animation with the rotation bone transforms out to a file and re-imported it back to the project in case that helps some one.

Hi, I figured out what the problem was on my side. In the Skeleton Tree (Skeleton or SkeletalMesh Window), click the cog and Show Retargeting Options. Change the bones that are having issues to something other than Skeleton. In my case I changed it to Animation and now everything works as expected.

This was not the most frustrating thing I’ve experienced in UE, but it did take me almost 3 hours and a lot of tutorials (which I didn’t have to watch) to figure out.

4 Likes

Oh God, thank you! I am learning the animation and rigging, I spend few hours making a simple animation, when I baked it as Animation Sequence one bone was not moving in Z axis… It was so frustrating! I thought my control rig was not good enough or something… Thank you once again!