When are you going to support Linux?

So, you can’t run the launcher in a virtual machine, it insists that your graphics card is not supported, so that option is out.

1.5GB of downloads to run a 54m exe WTF?

Reason is that Linux needs to become more mainstream by making one desktop known everywhere(Ubuntu tries that currently) and simple people should not be scared with terminals and almost everything should be doable with GUI. I have heard tons of stories when simple persons searched help and faced people who told to enter million terminal commands and so on…

I really would love to ditch Windows and i even use Ubuntu on laptop, but until Linux wont become mainstream then i am forced to use Windows on desktop PC. I am glad that Vulkan for graphics starts to become standard, this is one small step among others.

In Lutris I adjusted launcher configuration by enabling DXVK on “Game options” tab and switching Vulkan ICD loader to Auto on “System options” tab. It even runs Windows 4.26 version with this settings. :open_mouth:

Or is Linux not popular on the desktop because developers refuse to support it? Chicken or egg?

2 Likes

I may have to bite the bullet and try Lutris, I’ll need a day or so to download it though. What a farce Epic is.

Linux support my ■■■■…

Linux has to stop being split in 1000 versions before it can become mainstream. It’s nearly impossible to ship software to it that just works in the way you can on windows.

2 Likes

One word Flatpak.
Thats the great thing about open source there is something for everyone.

Funny how thousands of open source applications manage to do just that. This is just FUD spread by people who don’t use Linux. Stop it.

1 Like

If I ever manage do download a flatpak that isn’t flaky and doesn’t crash I might agree with you. So far its utter ■■■■.

Got any examples and details on how they managed to do it? Something that requires manually prepared packages for different versions of linux is obviously disqualified.

I’ve been trying to package something for linux and getting it to work for anything other than ubuntu has been very frustrating so far.

What is really needed is an open source or cross platform Launcher / Marketplace, regardless of OS.

Not anytime soon. I don’t feel the need to transition just yet.

not all Flatpaks are flaky. I have never had an issue with them. Also why would you target 1000 distros? Just target the major ones Ubuntu/debian, fedora, Arch.

I’m sure you’re right, just all the ones I’ve tried to use. I’ve so far had a 100% failure rate. Not encouraging. On the other had I’m sure not all appimages are great, but so far I’ve had 100% success with them.

And you’re also right about the old nonsense of 1000s of distros. It’s just an excuse. They are all based on 2 or three common package formats with a few oddballs thrown in.

I don’t know how it’s done, not my field, but there are thousands of projects that manage it just fine. Obvious examples? Blender, Libre Office, The Arduino IDE, Nvidia Omniverse, Unity, Wireshark, VLC, Gimp, Inkscape, Chrome, Firefox, VirtualBox, Handbrake, Spotify, Skype, Teams etc etc etc

This is just off the top of my head. All cross platform. It’s clearly doable, you just have to want to. Is it an easy thing for a one man project? No idea, maybe not. Epic can hardly claim to be that can it?

1 Like

“we don’t support…” I’m starting to see a pattern emerging.

I’ve been using Linux for 15 years or so, I don’t need to have it’s huge benefits explained to me.
I’d even be happy to just compile it myself. That’s not really the issue. The issue is they don’t even go that far. The launcher is simply not available at all, it’s the only way I can access the Marketplace. And when the community created their own launchers Epic went and broke it by introducing captchas.

It’s less about the binaries and more about the basic attitude. Which frankly stinks.

I run it through Lutris I use Wine version Protonified 4.10 and this command line string to prevent updates from baking my Lutris install. -SkipBuildPatchPrereq -opengl

And Microsoft is junk, and with the new windows so cludgy and built with more spyware than even China could put out in a decade, Linux is gaining ground fast. I have had lots of interest on Linux from Users on Minds.com. People hate Microsoft for their involvement in the vax industry and the tyranny of despots. MS is going down.

I’ve managed to install UE5 on Zorin 16, and can get it to open, but it’s clear we need a UE5 Linux specific community sine Epic is more concerned with selling Windows licences than than helping Linux Dev’s and Filmmakers.

I’m trying to get UE5.1 working now.