Whats the best way to extent physical animation component to attached skeleton meshes?

Hello!

So working toward a physics driven melee fighter. I have the upper body of my character running with physical animation component. works great! But when I add weapons to the character I cannot get them to effectively be added to the chain and so effect the character. Current attempt is to use attach component with weld physics bodies turned on, but this does not seem to work.

I also have run physical animation locally within the weapons component. while this lets the weapon interact with the scene it does not effect the character.

Whats the best way to extent physical animation component to attached skeleton meshes?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Something else I am messing with is a variety of physics assets with extra collision that matches my weapons. then when i drop or pick up weapons i would switch to new physics assets. the result is really spot on. Though I don’t know if it will really work when i start switching it on the fly or if it will actually scale very well.

Any luck with this?
My attempt was to attach the weapon with a physics constraint (i works) and then rotate the hand with FABRIK to match the rotation of the weapon - but I can’t figure it out :frowning:

Scuffed solution:
-add a bone to the hand
-add a shape to it in the physical asset, constrained (locked) to the hand, like a 1/1 cube
-depending on the weapon, scale the bone so the cube matches the weapon’s shape (use transform (modify) bone, in the anime bp to scale bones in real-time). The weapon’s mesh has to be scaled inversely.
-any other shape would require a different bone with the correct shape setup.
-you can set the scale to 0 when nothing is held.

kinda terrible, but it works

1 Like