Whats the best online database to use to store my project so others can download into their local Unreal Engine

I’m looking for any advice on what the best site is to us to upload my project onto so others can download that copy into their local unreal engine. Not really looking for the multi-user editing stuff, this is really just for testing the game online. I want to download on some other PCs (that have UE4) so they can launch the game and we can test it.
Thanks for the help!

Hey there @drewjohnson71! So there isn’t really a “best” place to host your project, but I can offer some recommendations!

You had mentioned you want other Unreal developers to be able to access the project, if you want them to be able to access your source, (like you would if working with a team) you’d probably want to host it on Github or on a Perforce server. Though if you have a couple gigabytes attached this comes with a bit of a cost for both.

However if you just want people to play your game itself and not have access to the source code, you’d probably lean towards itch.io (which is my go to for in development hosting) and gamejolt. This method will likely net more players, and the previous method will net more developer feedback (and maybe pull requests), either one is still rare in the case of early access indie titles however.

thank you, i’m going with GameJolt - thanks for the recommendations!

No worries, and just to add since I have some experience releasing indie games, I’d also recommend if you want to get testers specifically you’ll still need to have some form of pseudo marketing. If you need technical testers that’s tougher, but just people to play it will also need some effort regardless as there’s so many indie games on both platforms (especially itch) that natural user generation is not really in the cards. Itch has a majority user share and Gamejolt had some UI dedicated for testing (which to say isn’t much).

When it finally comes to release time (or even a fun alpha that is able to be monetized) I’ll always recommend moving up to a larger platform for more natural user generation.

In not so unrelated unrelated news, EGS is now accepting indie games to the store! Though there is a fee of $100 involved so I’d recommend giving it some thought closer to release!

On that note, I wish you luck! The indie roller coaster is a fun ride. Be sure to drop a post on the forums when it’s done so we can all see your hard work!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.