What workstations do Epic developers use?

Hi, I am thinking about building a workstation for Unreal Develeopement.
I am wondering what the epic games developers use.
Have they all 64 core multi cpu threadripper workstations or just simple 16 core cpus and do they use simple RTX3080s or Quadro RTX8000s SLI?
And what about ram…16gb or 256?
Maybe some developer sees this, I am justcurious :slight_smile:

in a nutshell it is a mathematical calculation adjusted bay the graphic quality of the product you plan to make and the amount of gold you want to spend…there are only the minimum requirements to be able to run without crying too much (I have less than the minimum required and I cry a lot)

Minimum spec
64gb ram
12gb Gpu
8 core Cpu (super optimistic)
what you need to work is a computer 3 times faster than a medium-level gaming computer if you make an 8k product tipe ps5 you need a PC that can virtualize an 8K herefore double the performance + 20% compared to the quality of the product you want to produce if it’s MMO whir server 10.000 player in 1 spot it becomes 3.5 compared to what you want to do in short, more power the better is it

get a dual CPU motherboard that supports 256GB ram stik whit 2 TPM 2.0 slot
spend more but buy a product that will last over time you can always change a GPU tomorrow go to the CPU computing power and overkill amount of ram

256GB 4x64GB never underestimate the need for RAM if you experiment with particles it’s a matter of life or death of the PC

1 Like

The Hardware and Software Specifications page for Unreal Engine 5 states the following:

Performance Notes

This list represents a typical system used at Epic, providing a reasonable guideline for developing games with Unreal Engine 5:

Windows 10 64-bit
64 GB RAM
256 GB SSD (OS Drive)
2 TB SSD (Data Drive)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
Xoreax Incredibuild (Dev Tools Package)
Six-Core Xeon E5-2643 @ 3.4GHz

If you don’t have access to Xoreax Incredibuild (Dev Tools Package), we recommend compiling with a machine having 12 to 16 cores.

1 Like

Well this does not tell me what Epic devs use ^^
But I think I scrap the Idea of a 64core cpu and go with a single 16 core.
And 128gb or maybe 256gb ram but as far as I can see there is no board that supports 256gb DDR5 ram yet

do this and you dont gona regret

Definitely get an SSD drive as standard. When I installed Unreal on a HDD my blank project loaded up in 3-4 minutes.

When I installed the engine path to my SSD Unreal loaded in 10 seconds. My project was saved on my HDD to save space which means it loaded slower.

SSD for the win.

if you have to make a work station make a work station now the gpu need the developer diver for art creator windows settings and stuff if you play video games on such a system sucks there is also a different Overclock…

1 start wit buy a casse I recommend a horizontal motedobort psoition cube shape casse XXXL more air flow more fans guaranteed performance and good GOLD minimum 1500W modular power suply using 50% 70% of the power supply is recommende…

2 Price quality pocket project needs speech… CPU or dual CPU + GPU or dual GPU…what do you need it for? what do you have to do with it? how much can you spend?

3 motherboard for you choice of point 2 adding what you need extra start from a must TPM2 and RAM performance focus

4 100% you need to buy CPU coler 2kg big fat monster with 2 3 fans you have a beter air flow on a RAM + moterbord and separate air pressure level between GPU top and bottom for free if you are SUPERPRO you mount a piece of plastic that separates the GPU and CPU in 2 air ecosystem

5 M2 Heat Sink…15$ maximum 25$ copper garbage buy NOW!!! the M2 ssd heat up in an absurd way and break easily under stres buy LARGE TALL copper Heat Sink and glue them with special termo glue 5m job it seems insignificant but it makes the difference between life or death

buy somting laik this and put stuff on it no space limitation a TANK PC cais

and this SSD heat sick wit a fan BBQ!!!

1 Like

Well at least I am sure not to get an nvme full speed ssd 7000mbit.
Because backing up projects gigabytes in size will take only a few seconds instead of minutes.
And for CPU I think I wait for the new Ryzen 7000s

marvelmasterter the new CPU canot work 100% widaut a SSD m2 plug to a moterbord the truth is that you have no choice today progress my dear progress or you get on the rails trying to stop the steam train or you stop at the station and get on the train

but these damned M2 they heat up in way hell BBQ wey and they break if you don’t cool them down with some big heatsink the faster they are, the more they heat up and to make them last over time, a constant temperature is needed at least that’s what the m2 SSD vendors say

i have thsi 15$ item and i can sey te BBQ!!! real time with the fan on a SSD and in the middle of a tornado 5 fan inbound one fan outbound with a blow fan Evercool Fox -3 under the GPU… and is a BBQ wen i load stuff

I found that a dual CPU which nobody talks about for unreal engine is the apex

But I cant find dual cpu boards for modern consumer cpus :frowning:

there are but they are called diferntly and they tend to be sold as a whole workstation server is very little is said about it since the prices are beiond absurd

wit 1 off this you ok 100%