What version of Visual Studio 2013 Express?

I was looking to download Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows, but that only works on Windows 8.1; if I download VS2013 Express for Windows Desktop, which works on Windows 7 but does not seem to have support for mobile, will I still be able to create Unreal projects for mobile devices?

Link:
http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

You have to pay for that just stick with Express edition when you’re ready buy it. Heck I did the same for Maya paid $185 cancel and install it on my laptop that will never go connect to the internet and for me to continue using the software for the price I paid.

The Version for Windows Desktop should also work for supported mobile platforms.

All you need is the VS2013 Express for Windows Desktop version, the editor code compiles for other platforms, so it doesn’t matter that VS2013 doesn’t compile for other platforms, the code includes a custom compiler. :slight_smile:

Yup, you need vs express for windows desktop.

Thanks for all the replies!

I do not think that is legal. if you are doing stuff in Maya for fun, it shouldn’t be an, but you may get into trouble if you are caught not using Maya with proper subcription, when you released your game you worked for many months/year.

If you are lucky, you may need to pay only for all the months of subcription fee you were using for free. If you are not, your game get taken down, & all the effort you made vaporised, on top of paying a fine or something.

Just not worth it. I say just use Blender, or the cheaper Maya LT, (or bite the bullet to use the full edition) when you wanted to make proper commerical IPs.

I do not think that is legal. if you are doing stuff in Maya for fun, it shouldn’t be an, but you may get into trouble if you are caught not using Maya with proper subcription, when you released your game you worked for many months/year.

If you are lucky, you may need to pay only for all the months of subcription fee you were using for free. If you are not, your game get taken down, & all the effort you made vaporised, on top of paying a fine or something.

Just not worth it. I say just use Blender, or the cheaper Maya LT, (or bite the bullet to use the full edition) when you wanted to make proper commerical IPs.
[/QUOTE]

How can they even know, that he used Maya for his game? I sure that’s impossible.

Its not easy to trace, & on top of that, firstly they actually need to trace. Its certainly not impossible though, if they do trace.

Yes, its technically low risk & hard to trace, but I am certainly not taking a risk on my years of hard work being killed, just because I wanted to save on subcription cost.

If other people wanted to take that risk, its their call.

If you are looking for Visual Studio,[Dvoyles@microsoft.com"] shoot me an email.](mailto: [email)

I’m an evangelist at Microsoft, working with startups and indie developers, so I can likely set you up with a copy of Visual Studio through our BizSpark program. We’re all about folks taking advantage of our tools to write for UE4!

Here’s some info on BizSpark.

Perks of the program:

• http://wootstudio.ca/startups/bizspark.aspx
  • Windows 8 / Windows Phone developer accounts
  • Visual Studio Ultimate 2013
  • Windows 8
  • Office 365
  • $150 / month Azure credits
  • Website hosting, virtual machines, databases, and mobile services
  • Visual Studio Online (Formerly TFS)
  • 90 Days of pluralsight + DigitalTutors training
  • Free marketing support with Microsoft
  • UnityVS, for debugging Unity games within Visual Studio

Who qualifies?

• Actively engaged in development of a software-based app, product, or service that will form a core piece of your current or intended business. (NOTE: you must be building a product! Startups providing consulting services are not eligible.)
  • Your company is privately held, and in business for less than 5 years.
  • Makes less than US $1 million in annual revenue

Keep making awesome games in UE4.