What to charge for Arch-viz realtime

I didn’t know about Lumion, it looks great, and the workflow seems pretty fast. I’ll copy some of its features.

I don’t know if they have used Cryengine, it doesn’t have the “Cry-look”, that characteristic texture “glow” that Cryengine games have, but if they have used Oculus it has to be something compatible with it, maybe they have it all :smiley:

$20 will get you a 5 minute phone call…

I’m actually working on a shading system for the Marketplace that gives you different textures, material presets, and stuff to render different kinds of tiles, wooden flooring, bricks, and a guide to help you make your own pseudo-procedural materials that never appear to tile… for $15. It will release with 50 different presets. If you’re interested, check it out here:

I worked in that studio and i was involved in some of those projects :slight_smile:
And i believe the technique they use is pretty simple. First of all it is not UE - it’s unity. Second thing is that they are using baked GI from VRay , that’s why it looks like VRay :wink:
Animation and demoreel are done in Max + vray.

So they use Unity with Oculus Rift for the virtual walkthroughs then?

that’s my guess
Engine itself is not that important while it can handle reflections and PB materials , while you are getting GI from VRay baked in textures, right ? And unity developers are much cheaper than Unreal developers as i know :wink:
To be clear : those videos above from youtube are done in max and vray - without realtime stuff involved.

I never have a problem charging 100/hour.

Yea, I charged 75$/hour just for photoshop touch ups on someone else 3d render. So, for a full project, 100$/hour is not far fetched at all!

wow guys …just …that’s wow for me. I am more than happy with 15-20$/hr.

Can you pm me some of your work ? I am very curious to see.

If you work for yourself (freelance)…15-20$/h isn’t enough…but it depends where you are from, who are your clients, etc. Are you employed or freelancing?

I’m not using ue4 for work by the way.

Freelancing but I am pretty new at it.

What’s you domain of expertise (if I can say it like that)?..I guess it’s arch viz. Are you doing paid contracts using Unreal engine 4? I’ve never really seen someone making money with UE4 in the arch viz industry yet. Sometimes you’re better off charging X amount per project than charging X amount per hour. Let’s say you sell a typical render 1500$ (apparently a very common price). You’re not gonna spend 75 hours on it heh…

I’m no expert but i’m almost 95% sure there is much more money to make in the 3D field with architects and industrial designers than with game developpers hehe.

we are having a difficult time figuring out the pricing as well. how much do you guys think would be fair to charge for something like this
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?41588-RealTime-Architectural-Visualization
assuming there are two additional bedrooms to this presentation. and dk2 compatible with 75 fps on an average gpu

Certainly a couple thousand dollars. I guess you’ve spent quite some time on that project. look for previous posts where these guys sold a 95 000$ real time viz. My bet is that clients for that kind of arch viz are really rare but if you aim at the luxury market, you’ll be able to charge a very interesting price! It’s a niche market i’d say, for now!

Who said they “sold” ? :wink:

And i think work for typical interior like that is worth $3k-$4k , but for now clients are only touching base and investigating about unreal. Everything depends on client. If they need presentation with 5 cameras 3 minutes each and they needed it “yesterday” than yes , Unreal is the boss in such case.

The problem is that we’re still thinking about animations. The UE 4 pro is about the Real-Time interaction!

pricing is certainly difficult right now.
why bother with unreal just for animation? just put it on render farm and get it in 20 minutes. and charge your client for render farm rent.

If ue4 is to outrun vray, these 2 features MUST be enhanced: REFLECTION and DYNAMIC GI.
I’m in the archviz animation field for almost 10 years, and i’m pretty sure ue4’s material performance and static GI lighting is quite enough for real estate clients, at least for those not-so-hi-end clients.
One of the most important things in archviz rendering is GLASS. If ue4 can simulate "ray trace’ like reflection(or at least hi-res reflect map), then I’m pretty sure lots and lots of people are going to use ue instead of vray for archviz rendering/animation.
And dynamic GI is for time-lapse photography,which is an often-used trick for a stunning archiviz-animations.
I’m really really looking forward to those updates. And I agree with heartlessphil, architect is a much bigger market than game making:)

I remember in 2001 when I left my Land Surveying/AutoCAD job for home business. I bought Director and Lightwave3D and had hopes of turning engineers/architects on to this visualization real time where I lived.

Needless to say, in Meredith NH which is a pretty large tourist area, no body cared for my presentations back then. :slight_smile: I am a programmer the last 10 years but now getting abck into 3D and hoping for visualization things. Reading this post makes me feel good.

I know back then I tried one avenue of “3D instruction manual walk through”, has anybody done stuff like this? I had one example of putting together a quite complicated decking system in realtime (In Director).

Haha, I agree with that. I think that when all these VR headsets become available the market is going to explode, and I want to be there to cash in :smiley:

I’ve been waiting for Oculus to make a move, but I think I’ll get an HTC Vive DevKit that will be available soon.